Frequently Asked Questions

Have questions about tickets or events? Get all your answers here.

How do I order tickets?

Tickets can be purchased by phone using MasterCard, Visa, or Discover, by mail. Eventually, we don't know when, folks will also be back in the office. Checks sent in with the mail order form should be made out to Slippery Rock University. For complete information, see Ticket Information 

Where are the events held?
We are hopeful to be back in Miller Auditorium for the coming year. If that is not feasible, we will temporarily be back in the University Union.

How do I get to Slippery Rock University?
See Directions for detailed directions. Also see the SRU Campus Map

Are discounts available for senior citizens?
Yes, typically there is a reduced ticket price for senior citizens 62 and older and children/youth 17 and younger.

How do I become a "Rock Star"?
Your tax-deductible contribution will help support the arts at the Rock by assisting in providing our region with world-class performances at affordable prices. View the List of Donation Categories and Benefits.

Are there group rates available?
Yes, typically there are reduced rates for groups of 15 or more. Groups making arrangements prior to program printing will get their organization/family name printed in the program. (Call the Director of Special Events at 724.738.2018 to make arrangements.)

Is there an opportunity to meet the artists?
Yes, depending on your level of donation there are many opportunities to meet the artists, join them for receptions, and receive "Special Guest" invitations. 

How do I become a sponsor of an event, reception or entire series?
Put our national award-winning public relations, marketing, and special events team to work on your behalf. Whether it's a company, organization, family, or individual, we can develop a partnership that will prominently display your name in written media, Rock Magazine, websites, playbills, radio, television, and signage. Depending on the level of donation, we can even name the series for you. Call the Director of Special Events at 724.738.2018 to set up an appointment.

Are young children allowed at the performances?
Every attendee must have a ticket, no matter the age of the child. We ask adults to supervise their young children closely and request that they leave the "house" area if a child becomes fidgety or noisy.

Are you handicapped accessible?
The University Union and Miller Auditorium have both been modified to accommodate wheelchairs. We have a limited amount of wheelchair spaces. To increase the likelihood of obtaining these seats, we encourage you to call early and clearly identify your needs. We also have reserved front row seating for our visually impaired patrons. At this time we do not have the equipment to assist patrons with hearing difficulty.