SRU ‘stars’ set for March 23 dance competition
March 21, 2017
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. - There will be no Tom Bergeron, no Erin Andrews, no Bruno Tonioli and no Julianne Hough, but the celebrity and glitz factors will still be sky high when the National Honor Society for Dance Arts presents "Dancing with the Stars - SRU Edition" at 7 p.m., March 23 in the Smith Student Center ballroom.
The event, featuring University staff and faculty paired with SRU dance majors, will serve as a benefit for the National Honor Society for Dance Arts "Rising Sophomore" scholarship fund.
The evening's dance card will include:
- Hannah Brewer, assistant professor of physical and health education, partnered with Michelle Slavik, a senior from Downingtown;
- Deanna Brookens, instructor of theatre, partnered with Darrin Mosley, a senior from York;
- Heather Hertel, associate professor of art, partnered with Samuel Elizondo, a sophomore from Watertown, New York;
- Leslie Snyder, clerk typist in the admissions office, partnered with Taylor Hahn, a senior from Hanover;
- Tim Oldakowski, associate professor of English, partnered with Elizabeth Rohm, a senior from Cranberry Township; and
- David Wilmes, associate provost for student success, partnered with Emily Gardiner, a senior from Bethlehem
Each duo will perform choreographed routines with the hope of "wowing the judges, entertaining the crowd and enjoying themselves on the dance floor," said Savannah McCartney, a senior dance major from Moundsville, West Virginia and event coordinator.
The event will showcase a variety of dance styles and include performances by the Rock Dance Company and Dance Express.
Tickets, priced at $5 for students and $8 for general admission, are on sale at the Smith Student Center Information Desk.
MEDIA CONTACT: Robb King | 724.738.2199 | firstname.lastname@example.org