Environmental GeosciencesOffered by: Geography, Geology, and the Environment
Earth is a fascinating place. Environmental Geoscience majors at SRU learn firsthand just how magnificent our planet really is. This major gives you the opportunity to discover and explore the geological and environmental materials and processes that make up our world. You'll apply techniques and concepts from chemistry, mathematics, and the geosciences to understand the historical development of Earth systems. You'll also have opportunities to participate in research and take advantage of internships, career development, and professional networking.
Why Choose Environmental Geoscience?
Environmental Geoscience at SRU is an excellent choice for students who want a degree with the flexibility to incorporate a second major-such as Safety Management, Business, Education, or other sciences. If you're interested in learning how Earth systems operate and interact while maintaining flexibility for additional majors or minors, then this program is a great fit for you.
What Will You Learn?
Through the SRU Environmental Geoscience program, you will learn:
- How to identify and interpret the formation of earth materials
- How to interpret geological history and the evolution of life on Earth
- How plate tectonics controls the development of oceans, continents, and mountain ranges
- How to understand interactions between humans and the surrounding environment
Careers In Environmental Geoscience
While the options are vast (especially if you incorporate a second major), some common careers for Environmental Geoscience majors include:
- Earth science teacher
- Environmental technician
- Environmental management
- Graduate school
Clubs & Organizations
- Geography, Geology, and the Environment Club
- Sigma Gamma Epsilon (Geoscience Honorary)