Philosophy: Career RelatedOffered by: Philosophy
Philosophy is an ideal complement to every field of study. The Philosophy: Career Related degree at SRU is a second major that allows you to design a program of philosophy courses to complement your career goals. By earning a second major in philosophy, you'll gain a solid foundation in logic, ethics, and the history of philosophy, significantly enhancing the critical thinking and writing skills required for success in your first major and in the professional world.
Why Choose Philosophy: Career Related?
Philosophy is an exciting discipline that encourages you to explore important questions, consider alternative points of view, formulate well-reasoned positions, and express your ideas clearly and carefully. By encouraging respect for reason and the critical examination of the grounds of your beliefs, philosophy teaches you to think for yourself in a responsible way and to live a thoughtful life.
A strong addition to any major, SRU's Philosophy: Career Related program fosters excellence is reading, writing, critical thinking, and ethical deliberation. Our current students and graduates double major in philosophy and fields as diverse as:
- Environmental Science
- Information Technology
- Parks and Recreation Management
- Political Science
- Public Health
What Will You Learn?
In addition to taking foundational courses in logic and ethics, you'll design a program of philosophy courses to complement your first major or career goals Through your coursework, you'll learn to:
- Inquire in a systematic way into fundamental questions about our lives and our relationships to others, society, and the world
- Develop the critical thinking skills and dispositions essential to any academic pursuit and intelligent way of living
- Examine critically what passes as common knowledge, formulate logical positions on important issues, and express ideas intelligently
- Pull your studies together into a unified project, and think about broader perspectives and implications, which are often lost sight of in specialized study
Careers In Philosophy
SRU's Philosophy: Career Related program will help you pave the path to a successful career. Through advanced training, philosophy students go on to excel in fields like:
- Actuarial science
- Health care
- Information science and technology
- Nonprofit leadership
- Scientific research
Some notable facts about the professional value of a philosophy education:
- Philosophy majors have the highest score on the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT), and have the highest acceptance rate to law school of any other major.
- On the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), philosophy students have the highest average score of all university majors. (Source: Educational Testing Service, 2013)
- Want to get an MBA? Philosophy majors outscore all business majors (including management, accounting, and economics) on the Graduate Management Admissions Test. (Source: Graduate Management Admissions Council, 2005-2010)
- Interested in medical school? Philosophy majors have a higher acceptance rate into medical school than biology, chemistry, and biochemistry majors. (Source: American Medical Student Association, 2000)
- The study of philosophy pays off in work and life. Students with a BA in philosophy earn more at midcareer than two-thirds of all other university majors. (Source: Payscale.com, 2014)
Clubs & Organizations
- Philosophy Club
- Phi Sigma Tau Philosophy Honorary
"In addition to being personally rewarding, majoring in Philosophy at Slippery Rock University equipped me with skills that were tremendously helpful in the study of law, and which continue to guide me in the legal profession."