Adapted Physical Activity (Master of Science)Offered by: Physical and Health Education
The health status of persons with disabilities is a critical emerging need in the human service profession. As such, it is an employment market that is growing much more quickly than other physical activity fields. Graduates of the Master of Science in Adapted Physical Activity can find rewarding careers such as specialists in school districts, advanced recreation therapy positions, fitness center positions, and community-based agencies focusing on health promotion and physical activity for persons with disabilities.
The Master of Science in Adapted Physical Activity program is geared towards individuals who already hold undergraduate degrees in areas such as physical education, teacher education, exercise science, therapeutic recreation, special education, athletic training or other related fields.
The Master of Science degree in Adapted Physical Activity is a 30-credit hour program that can be completed in just three semesters. This is a non-thesis program which includes a research project and culminates in a required six-hour internship experience during the summer. Examples of internships could include experiences such as the NASA headquarters in Florida - providing fitness programs for employees with disabilities; the Lakeshore Foundation in Alabama - working with Paralympic athletes for the Olympic Games; or at the Paralympic training site in Colorado.
The Master of Science degree in Adapted Physical Activity offers:
- A 30-credit hour program that can be completed in 12 months
- The largest full-time cohort in this discipline
- A non-thesis program which includes a research project and culminates in a required six-credit hour internship experience
- Hands-on internship opportunities
- Online Application
- Application Fee
- 750-Word Essay - describing how this degree will help reach the applicant's career goals
- Two Letters of Recommendation - one must be from an undergraduate professor (student is responsible for sending form link to evaluator)
- Official Transcripts- Undergraduate/Graduate (Official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronic transcript e-share to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail- faxed copies will not be considered official)
*Applicants may submit supplemental application materials as a PDF or JPEG file via email (email@example.com), fax (724.738.2146), or mail. Applicants may also choose to submit their supplemental materials via the wufoo forms linked above.