Dance: Bachelor of ArtsOffered by: Department of Dance
The Department of Dance at Slippery Rock University promotes dance as an art form through the creative, technical, expressive and intellectual development of each student in a personalized environment. Superior education in performance, choreography, and teaching, with additional components of wellness for dance, dance technology, and intercultural experience, prepares students for their chosen profession and entrepreneurial role in society.
This nationally renowned and rigorous program provides a comprehensive dance education that is compatible with other academic disciplines for students desiring a double major. Some popular major choices are Exercise Science, Business, Theater, Therapeutic Recreation Services, Communications, and Education; however, many other majors such as Public Health, History, Mathematics, and Parks and Recreation are also selected. The BA in dance can be completed in four years or on a compressed 3-year accelerated schedule.
Students can register for a dance audition here.
Why Choose Dance?
Dance is a viable and exciting academic and artistic pursuit. Studying dance can lead to many different career paths in the field and in dance related fields. Our professional faculty and staff members are known for their excellence and ability to educate dancers, and will assist students in reaching their chosen career paths.
What Will You Learn?
Through SRU's Dance program, you'll learn to expand and perfect your artistic and research abilities through various courses in performance, choreography, dance history, wellness for dance and teaching. Students may train in the following dance technique styles: jazz, hip hop, ballet, contemporary/modern, improvisation, Indian Classical Dance, Afro-Colombian Dance and Contemporary Partnering.
The Department of Dance produces at least eight concerts a year. If you chose to join one of the department's dance companies, you will gain invaluable experiences working with your peers outside of the classroom on performances for various productions and service-learning projects, as well as venues off campus.
Highlights for dance degree
- Excellent performance and teaching opportunities
- International study abroad experiences
- Development of leadership and entrepreneurial skills
- Internship and independent study experiences
- Guidance in writing and obtaining research grants
- Dance technology investigation and support
- Rock Dance Company
- Slippery Rock University Dance Theater
- Afro-Colombian Dance Ensemble
- Access to the sustainable enterprise accelerator
- Participation in guest artist residencies, workshops, master classes, dance conferences and festivals
For more information about the dance program, visit the Department of Dance website.
Careers In Dance
Graduates from the SRU Dance program have been accepted into excellent graduate programs. Our alumni have also gone on to successful careers as
- Professional dancers and choreographers
- Dance faculty at performing arts high schools and university programs
- Dance studio owners and teachers
- Artistic directors and administrators
- Videographers and photographers
- Wellness and fitness specialists
- Adapted dance instructors
- Costume and lighting designers
Clubs & Organizations
- Slippery Rock University Dance Theater
- Rock Dance
- Afro Colombian Dance Ensemble
- National Honor Society for Dance Arts
Dance alumna Emily Kennard talks about how her professors have inspired her in many different ways. Particularly, Professor Jennifer Keller, who as pushed her to expand her research and present her work in various places. Her passion for dance stems from the field of dance technology, which incorporates live feed and video projection with live dance works. Emily is currently involved in several organizations including Dance Express, the Rock Dance Company, and Sigma Rho Delta. She recently received the Outstanding Dance Major Award. Her future plans are to move to NYC and pursue a career in dance technology.Emily Kennard