Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (Master of Arts)Offered by: Modern Languages and Cultures
The globalization of English as the world's lingua franca and a national and regional increase in non-native English speaking populations create a need for highly-trained practitioners who can address the widely variant and specialized educational needs of adult English language learners at home and abroad. While the number of immigrants is increasing, evidence suggests that the barrier of language is becoming more and more common.
Labor markets project that the language school industry in Pennsylvania is set to grow by 22% between 2015 and 2025, much faster than the average growth of 7.4% in Pennsylvania alone. Accordingly, the region is seeing an exploding need for language school services and, by extension, for a well-trained language educator workforce. Earning an MA TESOL will help the region meet this important, urgent need.
Slippery Rock University's MA TESOL prepares graduates for the challenges of an increasingly interconnected world, enabling the acquisition of world languages, and aiming to educate world citizens who acquire linguistic skills through intellectual acculturation. Through challenging, quality, and interdisciplinary training, SRU graduates will be prepared to work in dynamic and pivotal roles by providing adult ELL instruction in higher education, community literacy, and multicultural global settings, as well as instructional media and materials development in the TESOL publishing industry, thus facilitating their lifelong skill development in the increasingly vital area of TESOL.
Slippery Rock University's Master of Arts Degree in TESOL is 30 to 33 credits, depending on which track you select, and offers:
- Flexibility to fit your busy schedule - online, blended, and once-weekly evening courses
- Two tracks; experiential and general that can be completed over 16-24 months
- Interdisciplinary instruction from five academic departments
- Expert faculty with earned doctorates
- Online Application
- Application Fee
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Intent (including personal and professional goals)
- Official Transcripts- Undergraduate/Graduate (Official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronic transcript e-share to email@example.com or via mail- faxed copies will not be considered official)
- Undergraduate transcripts with a minimum GPA of a 2.75
GRE not required
*Applicants may submit supplemental application materials as a PDF or JPEG file via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (724.738.2146), or mail.