Celebration of Achievement 2020
Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania's Celebration of Achievement is a time we set aside to recognize our students' academic and leadership excellence.
We take great pride in presenting these students to the university community and acknowledging their hard work. This special event will be held on Wednesday, April 8 at 5:00 PM, beginning with the awards ceremony at Swope Music Hall and concluding in the Robert M. Smith Student Center, with a celebratory reception for honorees, guests, Symposium presenters, and faculty mentors.
The event kicks off SRU's month-long "Celebration of Excellence," highlighting student academic achievement, leadership development, and civic engagement.
At the event, we will be honoring high-achieving students who have excelled in academics or leadership activities and recognizing three faculty members whose teaching, advising, and scholarship excellence contributes to our students' academic experience. New this year, we will also be honoring the recipients of the President’s Civic Engagement Awards.
- SRU Nominee for the Syed R. Ali-Zaidi Award for Academic Excellence
- President’s Student Civic Leadership Award
- Outstanding Students for Research/Scholarship/Creative Achievement and Leadership (2 per college)
- Community-Engaged Learning Bonner Program Leaders (3)
- Global Engagement Leaders: International and Domestic (2)
- Student Engagement and Leadership: Board of Governors Scholarship Recipient from the First Year Leader Scholar Program (FLSP)
- President's Award for Excellence in Teaching
- President's Award for Outstanding Academic Advising
- President's Award for Scholarly and Creative Achievement
- President’s Civic Engagement Ambassador Award
- President’s Community Partner Award
The following day during the Symposium, we will invite Dean's List students to come to the Smith Center Ballroom for recognition ribbons and cookies passed out by the deans (12:00-2:00 pm).
- Deans' List students for spring and fall semesters 2019 are those who have excelled in their course work, having earned semester averages ranging from 3.5 to 4.0 on at least 12 newly-earned credits.
Background On The Changes Made In 2019
We have changed the organization of this event (formerly known as "Academic Honors and Student Leadership Convocation') from recent years. Recognition for students on the Dean's List will take place during our "common hour" when students can come to the Smith Center and meet the dean of their college and receive the ribbons that were awarded at the previous Convocation event held on a Saturday. This is a more personal approach to recognizing individual students for their accomplishments. The date is also the day of our Student Symposium which showcases collaborative work between students and faculty members. We hope that combining these two events will encourage the Dean's List students to learn more about research and scholarship at SRU.
Parents and family members are welcome to come to the SRU campus during these events and share in the recognition of their son/daughter/family member who is being recognized. It will be informal but guests will have a chance to say hello to the dean of the college and enjoy the exhibit of student research, scholarship, and creative activity.
Academic Affairs and Integrated Learning
227 Bailey Library
Slippery Rock, PA 16057
Questions regarding this event can be directed to 724.738.4637 or via email.