Student with friends

Services for Students with Disabilities

Providing services to enhance the learning process and achieve academic success.

Services for Students with Disabilities

 Services for Students with Disabilities are available to any enrolled Slippery Rock University student having a documented disability. SRU is committed to accommodating students with disabilities and helping them to achieve academic success. The Office of Disability Services provides students with reasonable accommodations and services to ensure equal access to education as intended by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008. Services include assistance with, but are not limited to, the following disabilities: learning, physical, hearing, vision or psychological.

The following are examples of disabilities that are covered by the above laws:

  • Learning disabilities (such as dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalculia)

  • Medical health (such as cardiac disease, diabetes, arthritis, cancer, seizure disorder, etc.)


  • Physical/mobility impairments (ambulatory, wheelchair)

  • Hearing Impairments

  • Visual impairments

  • Emotional/psychological impairments (such as bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, etc.)

  • Autism Spectrum Disorder

  • Traumatic brain injury

  • Temporary disabilities - disabilities existing only for a short period of time (6-months or less) as a result of injuries, surgery or short-term medical conditions

What services are available?

The type of disability determines the appropriate accommodations. Services may include:

Online Accommodations

Taking courses online may create a need for different accommodations. Accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis with documentation that has been provided and discussion with the student. An accommodation is based on a functional limitation of the disability.

It is important to contact the Office of Disability Services at 724.738.4877 as soon as possible if you will be requesting an online accommodation. Some accommodations require up to 4 weeks lead time.

How do I access services?

Students are solely responsible for contacting the Office of Disability Services to request any accommodations or services. Students may begin the accommodation process by completing a public accommodation request here.

After a request is made, students must provide documentation under the following guidelines:

  • Completed by a licensed and/or certified professional

  • Contains the evaluator's name(s), and title(s), testing date(s), and student's age and grade level

  • Includes any relevant test scores, other relevant data and interpretations

  • Is based on battery of instruments which addresses aptitude, academic achievement and information processing (DSM-V criteria for learning disabilities and ADD/ADHD)

  • Identifies the disability or medical condition and describes the limits it imposes

  • Contains current information (no more than 3 years old)

The student and the director will meet to determine if the request is supported by the documentation. Services are provided dependent upon sufficient documentation.

Campus Accessibility

Slippery Rock University has on-going projects to upgrade campus access in areas such as curb cuts, improved sidewalks, ramps, lowered wall fountains, and accessible bathrooms.

Upon admission to SRU students with special housing needs should contact the Residence Life Office at 724.738.2082 and the Office for Students with Disabilities at 724.738.4877. For special housing requests please login to MyHousing and complete the housing accommodation form..

To obtain answers to general and technical questions about the ADA and to order technical assistance materials call: 800.514.0301 (voice) or 800.514.0383 (TDD).

Bailey Library offers a variety of services and adaptive equipment for students with visual, hearing and learning disabilities. For assistance, ask a librarian, or call the Information Desk at 724.738.641.