First-Year Student Orientation
Postcard invitations for the 2019 season will be mailed beginning in early December to new first-year students approximately one week after the $90 enrollment deposit is received and processed by Undergraduate Admissions. Watch your SRU email for an advertisement confirming that your postcard is on its way.
Seven sessions are offered to new first-year students during the Spring semester and in the month of June. All programs feature the same agenda and equal access to courses and services. The sessions in June include an optional overnight experience the evening before the full-day event for both students and guests.
||Saturday, April 6
||Saturday, April 27
||Saturday, May 4
||June 17 & 18
(Tuesday the 18th is the program.)
||June 20 & 21
(Friday the 21nd is the program.)
||June 24 & 25
(Tuesday the 25th is the program.)
||June 27 & 28
(Friday the 28th is the program.)
(check-in begins at 8 a.m. in the Smith Student Center/ program concludes at approximately 4:30 p.m.)
Optional Overnight Experience in June
The overnight Orientation session is a great way for students and families to make connections with current students and interact with SRU faculty and staff. Your evening stay will involve fun activities and social experiences in a very relaxed environment. We encourage you to take part in this wonderful opportunity. Join us for a tour of campus and town on our very own Happy Bus, a buffet dinner, an energizing scavenger hunt and free access to our award-winning recreation center. Check out the full evening agenda!
SRU student guests (parents, relatives, etc.) over the age of 18 will be assessed a fee of $10.25 for their room in Watson Hall; new SRU students do not pay this fee. The $10.25 accommodations fee will be collected upon check-in when you arrive on campus for Orientation. Please do not submit this fee prior to your visit.
Parents and guests will be given separate room arrangements. Please pack individually.
What to bring for your stay in Watson Hall...
Sheets and bedding are not provided! (extra-long twin bedding is recommended)
- Alarm clock
- Soap and personal items
- Towels and washcloth
- Athletic shoes and attire
- Pillow, sheet-set, blanket, etc.
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Robe and shower shoes
- Casual clothes
- Umbrella (optional)
Register for First-Year Student Orientation
IMPORTANT NOTES BEFORE YOU REGISTER:
- Please check your calendars for existing commitments (sports events, prom, family vacation) that may conflict or interfere with your potential Orientation program date. Students are expected to stay for the duration of the program.
- Each program date is limited to 250 students due to space restrictions. Programs close quickly--do not delay in reserving your Orientation session!
- It is not guaranteed that you will receive the first Orientation date that you have selected. By submitting your reservation form early with three possible dates, you have a much better chance of getting your preferred program.
- Because of the type of information requested in the registration process, STUDENTS should complete the form.
- You will sign in using your SRU username and password provided to you in your Admissions deposit confirmation letter.
- You will be asked to enter your high school grades and college course information (if applicable) in one area of the form. This information is self-reported and does not require a transcript for completion. Academic details are used by SRU staff to build your fall class schedule.
- The last step in the registration process includes payment options for your program guests. Guests over the age of 18 are assessed a fee of $25, which covers a continental breakfast, lunch, program materials and student staff wages. Please complete this portion of the form with a parent/guardian present.
- An official email confirmation verifying your assigned program date will be sent within 24 hours to your SRU ROCKmail account and to parent/guest accounts indicated on your form. Confirmations are not sent by mail, so be sure to check your SRU account frequently. Please be advised that the initial confirmation will not reflect payment for parent/guest fees; an updated email will be sent once payment is processed.
Register for First-Year Student Orientation (coming in December)
Spring/June Orientation Agenda
Orientation is held at the Robert M. Smith Student Center. For GPS directions, use 107 Central Loop, Slippery Rock, PA 16057.
Check-in for the June evening activities is at Watson Hall the evening before the formal program.
Pay Parent/Guest Orientation program fee here.