Major and Career Planning
A truly great major and career pathway decision takes into account many things: interests, values, personality, abilities, the job market, the desire to earn a graduate degree or not, the desire to travel or not, work inside or outside, with people or not; the list goes on and on. Also the path to career success is not always straight, some career s require specific majors and certifications while other career options can be arrived at from many majors. Yet many college students do not consider this before choosing a major.
Today more than 60% of college students, nationwide, change majors. This is not a bad thing as long as those major changing decisions are incorporating accurate and valid data along with great discussions with a career professional. Data + Discussion = Good Decisions
Before meeting with a career counselor or your academic advisor, explore the FOCUS 2 tool and additional assessments, research employment data, and then make an appointment to pull it all together into a great major and career decision.
Instructions for FOCUS 2
- As a first time user, you will need to click on the link for creating a new account near the top of the page
- Fill in the registration information and use "rockon" as your Access Code then click "Continue"
- You will need to create some password access questions before entering the system
- You are now able to access multiple assessments and exploration tools
- In the Self-Assessment section, take at least the Work Interest, Skills, Personality and Values assessments