The Health Fee enables the Student Health Service (SHS) to provide routine health care, health promotion programs and perform public health functions. The Health Fee is mandatory for all students enrolled in on-campus classes. The fee will appear as a line item on the tuition invoice.
The Health Fee does not eliminate the need for health/hospitalization insurance.
Currently, the on-campus Health Fee is $145 per semester for full time students and pro-rated per credit hour for part-time students. Students with off-campus courses (internships, exclusively on-line) may utilize Health Services and have the option of paying the health fee or a per visit charge of $44.
Services Covered by Health Fee
Routine care appointments are available with registered nurses, nurse practitioners and physicians. Walk-in patients are evaluated by a nurse, who will schedule appointments, as necessary.
- RN nursing evaluation care 24/7 during the academic year
- General medical care, including prescription or orders for lab, x-ray and referrals
- Well woman care
- Contraceptive education
- HIV pre and post-test counseling and testing
- Allergy injections by appointment
- Finger stick glucometer checks (for blood sugar)
- Pregnancy tests
- Transportation for x-ray and other appointments scheduled by the SHS during the academic year, when available. During inclement weather and when class is not in session, transportation may not be available.
- Physical exams for example: athletics, internships, drivers application, and employment by appointment
- Health Promotion services
- Cold self-care center
Services Not Covered by Health Fee
- Costs incurred are the responsibility of the students.
- Sexually transmitted infection (STI) counseling and treatment by appointment (there is a minimal fee for STI testing)
- Lab and x-ray - offsite facilities:
- Payment for any lab work, including pap lab fees or x-rays are the responsibility of the student.
- Nebulizer treatments
- Immunizations and TB tests
- The Student Health Service uses the student's insurance to provide referrals to medical specialties in the community.
- The Student Health Service is available as your initial source of health care during your student years. There may, however, be a time when surgery, more extensive medical treatment, hospitalization, or emergency care is needed. An optional insurance policy, available to all students, is designed to provide backup benefits for some of the services not offered at the Student Health Service. Although this coverage is provided by an independent firm, applications and claim forms are available at the Student Health Service.