Educational Leadership and Administration (Doctor of Education)Offered by: Secondary Education / Foundations of Education
Slippery Rock University offers a fully online Doctor of Education degree in Educational Leadership and Administration. This 60-credit Ed.D degree is designed to be completed in three years on a part-time schedule with year-round classes. Students also receive online synchronous advising by telephone and/or video conferencing. Our curriculum provides comprehensive preparation for administrative roles in public education or senior leadership roles in higher education.
Why get an educational leadership degree?
Our online Doctor of Education program prepares educators to become administrators and executive leaders in a complex educational landscape. SRU’s experienced faculty balance leading-edge trends with perennial education knowledge.The coursework focuses on highly practical areas such as data analytics, finance, enrollment management, personnel management, marketing, and leadership skills. Our educational leadership degree also develops skills related to strategic organizational vision and engaging in shared governance processes.
What will you learn?
All students in the online Doctor of Education program take coursework in leadership and research methods and complete the Ed.D degree by writing a dissertation. The dissertation seminar can be optionally completed as a face-to-face course.
Our program has two concentrations: Higher Education and Administration Studies and Policy. The coursework for the Higher Education concentration includes classes focused on higher education policy, financing, and discussion of systemic issues in the field. The Administration Studies and Policy concentration is designed to complement roles in public school administration with finance and ethics classes alongside practicum courses.
Higher Education and Administration Careers in Education
A doctoral program in education develops the skills and knowledge necessary for a variety of leadership positions in educational institutions. The Higher Education track builds executive leadership skills suitable for roles such as associate provost, provost, dean, program director, or associate vice president. The Administration concentration builds leadership skills suitable for public school education roles such as principal or superintendent. (This concentration can lead to Pennsylvania principal certification.)
The education sector is a vital component of our nation’s economy. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, postsecondary education administrators had an annual median wage of $95,410 while K-12 public school administrators had an annual median wage of $96,400.
Ed.D Program Requirements
All applicants must submit the following materials along with the completed application form and non-refundable :
- Online Application
- $35 Application Fee
- Resume (submit to Graduate.Admissions@sru.edu)
- Personal Statement - 300-500 word essay indicating, "How earning an Ed.D. in Educational Leadership and Administration will transform you intellectually and professionally." You should also include a statement on your philosophy of education (submit to Graduate.Admissions@sru.edu)
- Two letters of recommendation - references who can articulate the applicant's academic background (submit to Graduate.Admissions@sru.edu)
- Official Transcripts - Undergraduate/Graduate (Official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronic transcript e-share to email@example.com or via mail- faxed copies will not be considered official)
- GPA requirements - undergraduate GPA of a 3.0 or higher, and graduate degree with a 3.5 or higher
- SRU current/Alumni/former students click here to order your official SRU final transcript and have it sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
*If you are requesting review of your graduate transcripts for transfer of credit, please complete the transfer of credit form and submit to the Office of Graduate Admissions with official graduate transcripts. Please review SRU's transfer of credit policy.
Note: Up to 12 credits can be transferred into the program. These transfer credits are at the discretion of the graduate coordinator and must meet the objectives and outcomes of program courses.
Earn your online Ed.D degree in educational leadership at SRU!
Grow as an educator with Slippery Rock University’ completely online Doctor of Education degree in Educational Leadership and Administration. Learn more by requesting information today!