Special Education: Autism (Endorsement)Offered by: Special Education
GRADUATE SCHOOL EVENTS: View upcoming Information Sessions and Open House dates
According to the Center for Disease Control, one out of every 54 children born today will be diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. Many of these children are capable of being included in a typical classroom setting with some assistance from a knowledgeable professional. SRU's Endorsement in Special Education: Autism program helps train professionals to fill that role.
The endorsement in Autism is a valuable addition to any classroom teacher's credentials. In addition to enabling graduates to adapt to the changing classroom landscape, the courses in this program prepare educators to better classroom experiences for children with autism. Graduates will assist students with autism in having successful learning experiences, both inside and outside of the classroom. This certification also makes educators more marketable in a wider variety of areas.
SRU's Autism Endorsement Program offers:
- Exclusively online 12-credit program convenient for the working professional educator
- Program approval by the PA Department of Education leading to an endorsement on a teaching certificate
- Classes taught by professors with an expertise in Applied Behavioral Analysis and Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Curriculum aligned with Council for Exceptional Children standards and PA Department of Education competencies
- A practicum that can be done at the student's workplace without the need for a sabbatical or leave of absence
Attention: If you are applying to a graduate program after June 23rd, please follow the checklist within the application for all uploading instructions and use this link to apply now.
- Application Fee
- Two Electronic Reference Forms: two from a professional or one from a professional and one from a faculty member (Student is responsible for sending form link to the evaluator)
- Copy of Teaching Certificate (submit to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Official Transcripts- Undergraduate/Graduate (Official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronic transcript e-share to email@example.com or via mail- faxed copies will not be considered official)
- SRU current/Alumni/former students click here to order your official SRU final transcript and have it sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
*If you are requesting review of your graduate transcripts for transfer of credit, please complete the transfer of credit form and submit to the Office of Graduate Admissions with official graduate transcripts. Please review SRU's transfer of credit policy.
*Applicants may submit supplemental application materials as a PDF or JPEG file via email (email@example.com), fax (724.738.2146), or mail. Applicants may also choose to submit their supplemental materials via the wufoo forms linked above.
* If you are not a resident of Pennsylvania, please check the list of most recent states approved for online classes and internships by clicking here to see if SRU is authorized to offer distance education and/or field experiences in your state of residency. The Autism Endorsement must be applied for through the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
*Clearances are due no later than one (1) week prior to deadline for course registration for each program's practicum/field experience-----no student will be permitted to register for their program's practicum and take part in practicum/field experiences without clear clearances on file at SRU. Students are to send the following by the due date:
- Clear Act 34 Criminal History Record: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Clearance must be less than one year old at the time of submission.
- Clear Act 114 FBI Record Check: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Clearance must be less than one year old at the time of submission.
- Clear Act 151 Child Abuse Background Check: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Clearance must be less than one year old at the time of submission.
- Act 24 Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Students must file an updated Act 24 with SRU if any additional arrests/convictions occur while enrolled at SRU.