Returning or Leaving Active Duty

If your Reserve/Guard unit is activated/deployed, please refer to the procedures below. For additional information, refer to the following websites:

I am being deployed. What do I do?

  • Refer to the SRU Military Absence Policy and determine if a Military Absence Work Plan or a Military Leave of Absence (withdrawal) is most appropriate. 
  • Attend classes until the last possible date. In the past, some soldiers' orders have been cancelled which allowed the student to complete the semester.
  • Contact a Success Coach to officially withdraw from the university by emailing or calling 724.738.2011. You will need to provide a copy of your activation orders.
  • If you are using GI Bill® Benefits, please contact the Office of Veterans Benefits at  or calling 724.738.2702.

How do I re-enroll at SRU when I return from active duty ?

  •  Apply for readmission to SRU.  Be sure to indicate you are returning to SRU after release from military active duty.
  • Contact the Financial Aid Office at 724.738.2044 for instructions on applying for financial aid following your active duty service. You will need to provide that office with a copy of your DD214 (discharge paper) that shows your active duty service. Soldiers who served on active duty under certain conditions (as members of the National Guard or Reserves) may be considered as "veterans" and will file their financial aid application as an "independent" student (not using parents' income information).

Will I have to repay my student loans immediately ?

An active duty military deferment is available to borrowers in the Direct, FFEL, and Perkins Loan programs who are called to active duty during a war or other military operation or national emergency. This deferment is available while the borrower is serving on active duty during a war or other military operation or national emergency or performing qualifying National Guard duty during a war or other military operation or national emergency and the 13 month period following the demobilization date for the qualifying service.

What happens to my financial aid?

If you are activated during a term and you provide a copy of your military orders, you will be withdrawn with "M" grades. In general, your tuition charges for the semester will be cancelled, and your financial aid, loans, and/or EAP funds refunded to appropriate agencies (according to SRU policy). You may be charged for room and board for the time you lived in campus housing, or utilized a meal plan. The Office of Student Accounts will follow the Department of Education "Return of Title IV Funds" calculations -you may contact Student Accounts with any questions regarding return of your financial aid/loans if you withdraw due to military deployment.

Do I still receive my GI Bill® checks?

Your GI Bill® will cease from the last date of your enrollment.

Contact the SRU School Certifying Official regarding reinstatement of your GI Bill® benefits.

EAP recipients should contact their Guard unit to initiate/update EAP paperwork.

GI BILL® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at