Geography: Applied Geographic TechnologyOffered by: Geography, Geology, and the Environment
Are you passionate about geology and technology? The Applied Geographic Technology program brings together new technologies in computer science, visualization, geographic information science, and remote sensing to examine the natural and human environment. Through intensive hands-on projects, you will become an expert at using these fast-growing and in-demand technologies.
Why Choose Applied Geographic Technology?
If you enjoy learning about the world and working with emerging technologies, SRU's Applied Geographic Technology program is a good fit for you. This program enables you to work hands-on with the latest technology, and offers opportunities to gain valuable experience through fieldwork and internships with companies, government agencies, and environmental organizations.
What Will You Learn?
Through the Applied Geographic Technology program, you will learn how to:
- Collect, analyze, and represent earth data using geographic technologies
- Think critically for spatial problem solving
- Use analytical skills for data collection in the field, at the library, or on the computer
- Understand and operate global positioning systems
- Employ mapping, spreadsheet, and database software
Careers In Applied Geographic Technology
Many of our students have found work that enables them to address important environmental and social issues in the private or public sector. As a graduate from Applied Geographic Technology, you can pursue a wide range of job opportunities, including:
- Geographic information systems technologist, analyst, or specialist
- Cartographer for federal government or private sector
- Geointelligence officer, logistics
- Environmental monitoring or consulting
- Environmental law or public policy
Clubs & Organizations
- Geography, Geology, and the Environment Club
- Gamma Theta Upsilon (student honorary society)