Celebration of Achievement 2019
Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania's Celebration of Achievement is a time we set aside to recognize our students' academic and leadership excellence.
We take great pride in presenting these students to the university community and acknowledging their hard work. This special event will be held on Thursday, April 18 at 5:00 PM, on the third floor of the Robert M. Smith Student Center, following the close of the Symposium for Student Research, Scholarship, and Creative Achievement. A celebratory reception with refreshments for honorees, guests, Symposium presenters, and faculty mentors will immediately follow.
The event kicks off SRU's month-long "Celebration of Excellence," highlighting student academic achievement, leadership development, and civic engagement.
At the event, we will be honoring high-achieving students who have excelled in academics or leadership activities and recognizing three faculty members whose teaching, advising, and scholarship excellence contributes to our students' academic experience.
- SRU Nominee for the Syed R. Ali-Zaidi Award for Academic Excellence
- Outstanding Students for Research/Scholarship/Creative Achievement and Leadership (2 per college)
- Community-Engaged Learning GSL Program Leaders (2)
- Global Engagement Leaders: International and Domestic (2)
- First-Year Leader Scholar Program: Board of Governors Scholarship recipients (3)
- Winner of the President's Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Winner of the President's Award for Outstanding Academic Advising
- Winner of the President's Award for Scholarly and Creative Achievement
Also, earlier in the day during the Symposium (12:30-2:00 pm), we will invite Dean's List students to come to the Smith Center Commuter Lounge for recognition ribbons and cookies passed out by the deans.
- Deans' list students for spring and fall semesters 2018 are those who have excelled in their course work, having earned semester averages ranging from 3.5 to 4.0 on at least 12 newly-earned credits.
BACKGROUND ON THE CHANGES FOR 2019
We have changed the organization of this event (formerly known as "Academic Honors and Student Leadership Convocation') from recent years. Recognition for students on the Dean's List will take place on Thursday, April 18th, during our "common hour", when students can come to the Smith Center and meet the dean of their college and receive the ribbons that were awarded at the previous Convocation event held on a Saturday. This is a more personal approach to recognizing individual students for their accomplishments. April 18th is also the day of our Student Symposium which showcases collaborative work between students and faculty members. We hope that combining these two events will encourage the Dean's List students to learn more about research and scholarship at SRU.
Parents and family members are welcome to come to the SRU campus on April 18th and share in the recognition of their son/daughter/family member who is being recognized. It will be informal but you will have a chance to say hello to the dean of the college and enjoy the exhibit of student research, scholarship, and creative activity.
227 Bailey Library
Slippery Rock, PA 16057
Questions regarding this event
can be directed to 724-738-4637
or via email