Applied Behavioral Analysis Certificate (Online)Offered by: Special Education
Click GRADUATE SCHOOL EVENTS to view upcoming Program Specific Information Sessions and Open House dates
Do you already have your graduate degree in the areas of education, psychology or human services but want to pursue a specialization in applied behavior analysis? If this applies to you, then completing the coursework to earn a certificate of completion within the existing graduate program in Special Education emphasizing a focus on Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) will be the right fit for you. If you enjoy helping others, consider becoming a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA). BCBA's can support all persons with exceptionalities and have been instrumental in the support of persons having Autism Spectrum Disorders. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, behavior analyst jobs are growing rapidly and the overall employment rate is expected to grow much faster than the average for all professions combined between 2012 and 2022.
In education, behavior analysts support a variety of individuals including parents, guidance counselors, healthcare providers, and others to provide evidenced-based assessment and behavior-based interventions. The focus is on the learning environment and teacher behavior as the primary methods to proactively address behavioral challenges. Behavior analysts also contribute to classroom and school wide Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports (PBIS). Areas of practice also include: autism, community-based mental health, social work, and counseling.
ABA, a branch of psychology rooted in the application of science to the study of human behavior, is a specialized therapeutic approach that has been shown to be quite effective in reducing the impact of autism spectrum disorders as well as other mental health and developmental disabilities. The content of this particular program will focus upon the application of ABA in special education and pediatric clinical settings, supporting needs of learners having autism spectrum disorders, developmental disabilities, and emotional or behavioral disorders.
This course sequence has been specifically aligned with classroom and experiential requirements recommended by the international accrediting body for professionals providing ABA services, the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB), to develop, design, implement, and evaluate behavior analytic techniques that produce meaningful change for learners. At a minimum, upon completion, students participating in these courses will have fulfilled coursework requirements to sit for examination to be a recognized Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA).
Coursework within this certificate is derived from the Fourth Task List published by the BACB as well as the Board's Guidelines for Responsible Conduct. The BACB Standards are listed on the following website as well as information on the Board itself and the examination process at www.bacb.com.
This certificate is for persons who already possess a graduate degree in education or related field and are seeking to complete the coursework requirements only to sit for the BCBA exam.
Note: Applicants can apply for the Fall, Winter, or Spring term.
Learn more about SRU’s ABA program by listening to Dr. Bieniek’s podcast.
SRU's Certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) offers:
- 100% online
- World class faculty considered to be the leaders in Special Education in Pennsylvania
- A program curriculum grounded in theory and research supported by a practical, hands-on approach
- Course sequence alignment with the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB) that meets eligibility requirements to take the Board Certified Behavior Analyst Exam
Attention: To apply for admission, please use the following link to apply now.
- $25 Application Fee
- Two electronic recommendation forms: two professional references or one academic reference from a former or current college or university faculty member with knowledge of the applicant’s academic abilities and one professional reference from a school administrator, teacher, or supervisor with knowledge of the applicant’s professional attributes
- Official undergraduate and any graduate transcripts (official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronic transcript e-share to email@example.com or via mail - faxed copies will not be considered official)
- SRU current/Alumni/former students click here to order your official SRU final transcript and have it sent to firstname.lastname@example.org