Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages CertificateOffered by: Modern Languages and Cultures
Click GRADUATE SCHOOL EVENTS to view upcoming Program Specific Information Sessions and Open House dates
The globalization of English and demand for English language instruction worldwide create a need for skilled practitioners who can address the widely variant educational needs of English learners.
Opportunities for teaching English learners overseas and at home are abundant. According to Education First's 2016 English Proficiency Index (EPI) for both schools and companies worldwide, English language proficiency correlates with higher incomes, improved quality of life, more dynamic business settings, superior connectivity, and more innovation. Recognizing this return on investment, countries such as Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Japan, Panama, South Korea, and Uruguay have launched government-sponsored initiatives to expand English teaching and learning. In the U.S., the Pew Research Center reports that the proportion of immigrants who speak English "less than very well" increased from 43% in 1980 to 50% in 2013.
Through comprehensive certificate-level training, SRU graduates will be prepared to teach English as a foreign language (TEFL) abroad and English as a second language (TESL) at home. Facilitating lifelong TESOL development, the Certificate helps graduates realize their dreams of living abroad and assisting others in acquiring English proficiency.
SRU's Graduate TESOL certificate is 13 credits and offers:
- The basic graduate-level requirement to qualify for overseas and domestic English teaching jobs
- Flexibility to fit your busy schedule - once-weekly evening courses offered in person or via zoom
- Expert faculty with earned doctorates
- A pathway to Master's degree - all 13 credits apply to the MA TESOL, leaving only 17 online credits remaining to obtain the full degree
Attention: To apply for admission, please use the following link to apply now.
- $25 Application Fee
- Official Transcripts- Undergraduate/graduate (official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronica transcript e-share to email@example.com or via mail- faxed copies will not be considered official)
- SRU current/Alumni/former students click here to order your official SRU final transcript and have it sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Intent (1-2 page explanation of personal and professional goals for TESOL study)
- GRE not required
- International students should check with the Office of Global Engagement to review all international documents and visa status at email@example.com