Public Health (Master of Public Health)Offered by: Public Health
Are you about to graduate or currently working and looking at pursuing a graduate degree in Public Health? The MPH program at SRU is the place for you. We offer a 100% online Master of Public Health program. Our program is practitioner-based, and we prepare our students for leadership positions in Public Health.
In the United States, between 2020 and 2030, the MPH-related occupations are projected to add about 118,449 jobs to the economy (EMSI). Within a 150-mile region around Slippery Rock University, between 2020 and 2030, MPH-related occupations are projected to grow by a total of 10% (EMSI). According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Healthcare occupations and those related to healthcare are projected to account for 18 of the 30 fastest growing occupations.
Slippery Rock University's Master of Public Health will focus on health promotion and wellness and environmental and occupational health to address workforce needs. The program follows a practitioner-based approach and the required capstone experience will provide an opportunity for students to further develop relevant experience in an applied setting. Graduates will be well-prepared to take the Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) examination, or the National Board of Public Health Examiner's Certified Public Health (CPH) examination.
The MPH program at SRU offers two concentrations:
The Health Promotion and Wellness concentration is of growing importance as health care comes to emphasize disease prevention over treatment. Students graduating with this concentration will utilize wellness as multidimensional and holistic, encompassing lifestyle, mental well-being, spiritual well-being, and the environment. Students will be able to identify and implement effective communication strategies with clients in an individual or group to help enhance health and wellness. Use written formats and media technology to increase the likelihood of engaging priority populations in health promotion programs. Recognize barriers to culturally competent provider-consumer relationships and identify strategies to overcome barriers. And lastly analyze and evaluate how a person contributes to their environment and community, and identify how to build better living spaces and social networks that promote wellness. The concentration is designed to produce the next generation of public health leaders and to keep up with the workforce demand in the field of Health Promotion and Wellness.
The Environmental and Occupational Health concentration prepares students to identify, recognize, and analyze the physical, biological, and chemical hazards that people are exposed to not only in the environment but in the workplace, along with the associated health effects. Students also learn the roles of policies and regulatory agencies in ensuring a safe environment and workplace. Furthermore, students acquire skills and knowledge in the areas of risk assessment, industrial hygiene and toxicology, aimed at controlling, regulating and sustaining an environment and workplace with minimal hazard. The concentration is designed to produce the next generation of public health leaders and to keep up with the workforce demand in the field of Environmental and Occupational Health.
Master of Public Health Program Goals:
- Prepare graduates to become leaders in applying public health evaluation and behavior change strategies to improve population health and wellness
- Effectively employ evidence-based practical experiences and interdisciplinary approaches in public health
- Provide quality education, research, service, and leadership to improve public health and eliminate health disparities
- Cultivate and identify strategies for marketing innovative, interdisciplinary health promotion programs
The knowledge and skills learned will enable graduates to address public health problems at the community, institutional, and societal levels. In addition, students will develop interdisciplinary competencies: communication and informatics, diversity and culture, leadership, professionalism, program planning, systems thinking, and public health biology.
Why choose the Master of Public Health?
SRU's MPH program offers:
- NO GRE Required
- 100% online – Get your degree without relocating to Pennsylvania
- Focus on your area of interest: Health Promotion and Wellness or Environmental and Occupational Health
- Network with fellow students through group activities
- Complete the 42 credit program in 21 months for fulltime students
- Exposed to the field by dedicated and experienced faculty members
- The program will apply for CEPH accreditation
- Online Application
- Application Fee
- Personal Statement indicating career goals and personal philosophy related to interest in Public Health (submit to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- One Letter of Recommendation that addresses the applicant's capacity for graduate level work and suitability for the intended program area (submit to email@example.com)
- Official Transcripts- Undergraduate/Graduate (Official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronic transcript e-share to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail- faxed copies will not be considered official)
- Minimum GPA of a 3.0, all prerequisite courses must be complete with a C or better
- Previous completion of a statistics course and a natural or social science course
No GRE Required
*Applicants may submit supplemental application materials as a PDF or JPEG file via email (email@example.com), fax (724.738.2146), or mail.