Public Health (Master of Public Health)Offered by: Public Health
Are you about to graduate or currently working and looking at pursuing a graduate degree in Public Health? The MPH program at SRU is the place for you. We offer a 100% online Master of Public Health program. Our program is practitioner-based, and we prepare our students for leadership positions in Public Health.
In the United States, between 2020 and 2030, the MPH-related occupations are projected to add about 118,449 jobs to the economy (EMSI). Within a 150-mile region around Slippery Rock University, between 2020 and 2030, MPH-related occupations are projected to grow by a total of 10% (EMSI). According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Healthcare occupations and those related to healthcare are projected to account for 18 of the 30 fastest growing occupations.
Slippery Rock University's Master of Public Health will focus on health promotion and wellness and environmental and occupational health to address workforce needs. The program follows a practitioner-based approach and the required capstone experience will provide an opportunity for students to further develop relevant experience in an applied setting. Graduates will be well-prepared to take the Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) examination, or the National Board of Public Health Examiner's Certified Public Health (CPH) examination.
The MPH program offers to academic concentrations, enabling you to choose the one that best aligns with your career goals.
Upon graduation, students with the "Health Promotion and Wellness" concentration will be able to:
- Demonstrate how wellness is multi-dimentional and holistic, encompassing lifestyle, mental well-being, spiritual well-being and the environment
- Develop effective population health strategies for communicating with clients to enhance health and wellness
- Incorporate written formats and media technology to increase the likelihood of engaging priority populations in health promotion programs
- Recognize barriers to culturally competent provider-consumer relationships and identify strategies to overcome barriers
- Analyze ways that a person contributes to their environment and community, and identify how to build living spaces and social networks that promote wellness
Upon graduation, a student within the “Environment and Occupational Health” concentration will be able to:
- Examine the role of risk assessment paradigms in creating safe environments, including target populations exposed to hazardous agents
- Demonstrate an understanding of the regulatory framework and policy at the local, state, and federal levels for controlling exposure to or release of environmental contaminants
- Articulate many of the sources of biological, chemical and physical agents found in environmental matrices of water, air, soil and food
- Communicate approaches to the prevention and control of the major diseases caused by environmental hazards
- Adhere to ethical guidelines regarding environmental and occupational health
Master of Public Health Program Goals:
SRU’s Master of Public Health Program goals:
- To involve students in interdisciplinary, culturally competent, community-based program opportunities to improve health and environmental equity for individuals and communities
- To provide quality education, research, and service through an innovative online course structure to improve the health and well-being of all community members and eliminate health disparities
- To initiate faculty and student service-learning opportunities to promote innovative population health programs
Why choose the Master of Public Health?
SRU's MPH program offers:
- The application for CEPH accreditation has been accepted
- No GRE required
- 100% online - get your degree without relocating to Pennsylvania
- Focus on your area of interest: Health Promotion and Wellness or Environmental and Occupational Health
- Network with fellow students through group activities
- Complete the 42-credit program in 21 months for full-time students
- Exposed to the field by dedicated and experienced faculty members
- Skills and knowledge to take the MCHES and CPH examinations
Slippery Rock University, Masters of Public Health Program is an applicant for accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH). The accreditation review will address the MPH degree with concentrations in Health Promotion and Wellness (HPW) and Environmental and Occupational Health (EOH) included in the accreditation unit, as defined in the Council’s letter accepting the application. Other degrees and areas of study offered by this institution will not be included in the unit of accreditation review.
Attention: To apply for admission, please use the following link to apply now.
- $25 Application Fee
- Previous completion of a statistics course and either one social science or one natural science course
- Personal Statement indicating career goals and personal philosophy related to interest in Public Health
- One Letter of Recommendation that addresses applicant's capacity for graduate level work and suitability for the intended program area
- Official Transcripts- Undergraduate/Graduate (Official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronic transcript e-share to email@example.com or via mail- faxed copies will not be considered official)
- Minimum GPA of a 3.0, all prerequisite courses must be complete with a C or better
- SRU current/Alumni/former students click here to order your official SRU final transcript and have it sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- No GRE required
*If you are requesting review of your graduate transcripts for transfer of credit, please complete the transfer of credit form and submit to the Office of Graduate Admissions with official graduate transcripts. Please review SRU's transfer of credit policy.