Public Health (Master of Public Health)Offered by: Public Health
Are you interested in health promotion and wellness or environmental and occupational health? Did you know that public health is projected to grow 16% nationally and adding 50,000 jobs by 2024 (EMSI).
The PA Department of Labor & Industry projects that 4 out of 6 of the top-growth industries are in healthcare fields. Growth within 100 miles of Slippery Rock is also driven heavily by health-related jobs: health services managers, medical scientists, environmental health scientists, health educators, and public health social workers are expected to add over 3,300 jobs to the region by 2020. This is a 19 percent increase for these jobs alone compared to a regional average of 5.4 percent. Workers in these fields will need advanced education in health-related issues, epidemiology, and biostatistics, all of which the MPH addresses.
ASPPH estimates that 250,000 additional public health workers will be needed by 2020. To meet this need, it estimates that triple the number of graduates will be required1. There is a trend toward requiring an MPH for entry-level management positions.
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that between 2012 and 2022 the health care and social assistance industry will grow by 29 percent nationally, making it the top-growth industry. The predicted growth of public health educators is 26.6 percent.
Slippery Rock University's Master of Public Health will focus on health promotion and wellness and environmental and occupational health to address workforce needs. The program follows a practitioner-based approach and the required capstone experience will provide an opportunity for students to further develop relevant experience in an applied setting. Graduates will be well-prepared to take the Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) examination, or the National Board of Public Health Examiner's Certified Public Health (CPH) examination.
Master of Public Health Program Goals:
- Prepare graduates to become leaders in applying public health evaluation and behavior change strategies to improve population health and wellness
- Effectively employ evidence-based practical experiences and interdisciplinary approaches in public health
- Provide quality education, research, service, and leadership to improve public health and eliminate health disparities
- Cultivate and identify strategies for marketing innovative, interdisciplinary health promotion programs
The knowledge and skills learned will enable graduates to address public health problems at the community, institutional, and societal levels. In addition, students will develop interdisciplinary competencies: communication and informatics, diversity and culture, leadership, professionalism, program planning, systems thinking, and public health biology.
SRU's MPH program offers:
- 100 percent online courses
- Practitioner based focus on health and wellness promotion and environmental and occupational health
- A 42-credit program that can be completed in 21-months
- The program is designed to be CEPH accredited
- Graduates will be well-prepared to take the CPH and MCHES examinations
- Online Application
- Application Fee
- Personal Statement indicating career goals and personal philosophy related to interest in Public Health (submit to email@example.com)
- One Letter of Recommendation that addresses the applicant's capacity for graduate level work and suitability for the intended program area (submit to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Official Transcripts- Undergraduate/Graduate (Official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronic transcript e-share to email@example.com or via mail- faxed copies will not be considered official)
- Minimum GPA of a 3.0, all prerequisite courses must be complete with a C or better
- Previous completion of a statistics course and a natural or social science course
No GRE Required
*Applicants may submit supplemental application materials as a PDF or JPEG file via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (724.738.2146), or mail.