Counseling image

Be a helping hand in higher education

Prepare for a career as a college or university mental health counselor

Student Affairs in Higher Education: College Counseling (Master of Arts)

Offered by: Counseling and Development

When people have difficulty coping with life's challenges or need support in meeting their educational and personal goals, a skilled, helping professional can make all the difference. SRU's Master of Arts in College Counseling, a concentration in Student Affairs in Higher Education, is a specialized program designed to prepare individuals for helping positions at colleges and universities such as mental health counseling, career counseling, health promotion, student support and disability services. Traditional counseling center positions frequently require state licensure.


College Counseling is a 60-credit-hour, three-year specialty program that combines curriculum and practicum and internship experiences from the Student Affairs in Higher Education program and the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program. Graduates are eligible for the National Certified Counselor credential (NCC).

This program prepares students for counseling-focused positions at colleges and universities-including mental health counselor, career counselor, disabilities counselor, or academic advisor.


College Counseling, a concentration in Student Affairs in Higher Education meets the educational requirements for licensure as a Professional Counselor (LPC) in the state of Pennsylvania. Passing the National Counselor Examination is also required to obtain the LPC. CDev is a graduate student administration site for the NCE allowing our students to take the exam prior to graduation. The final step to obtain licensure in Pennsylvania is to obtain supervised experience which can begin after the completion of 48 credits.

Licensure requirements vary between states. If you wish to practice outside of Pennsylvania, we recommend you look at the specific state for their requirements. The American Counseling Association provides contact information for state boards at:


Features of this program include:

  • Meets professional standards set by Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS)
  • 60-credit hour cohort program
  • Graduates are eligible for the National Certified Counselor credential (NCC)
  • Graduates meet educational requirements for licensure as a professional counselor (LPC) in Pennsylvania.


Attention: To apply for admission, please use the following link to apply now.

  • $25 Application Fee
  • A Personal Statement indicating interest in the program, experience, and career goals
  • Two Electronic Recommendation Forms: one from a former or current college or university faculty member with knowledge of the applicant's academic aptitude, suitability for intended program area, and ability to form interpersonal relationships
  • Official undergraduate degree transcript(s) and any graduate transcripts (Official transcripts must be sent by the institution via electronic transcript to or via mail.  Faxed copies are not considered official)
  • SRU current/Alumni/former students click here to order your official SRU final transcript and have it sent to
  • A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 to be considered for unconditional admission

Selected applicants will be invited for an interview. The priority deadline for applicants seeking Graduate Assistantships is December 1. After this time, applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. The college counseling program has a fall start date only.

*If you are requesting review of your graduate transcripts for transfer of credit, please complete the transfer of credit form and submit to the Office of Graduate Admissions with official graduate transcripts. Please review SRU's transfer of credit policy.