Environmental Geosciences: GeologyOffered by: Geography, Geology, and the Environment
Get the exceptional preparation you need for a career as a geologist. In the SRU Geology program you won't just be sitting in the classroom, you'll be learning in the laboratory and field. You'll also have access to a number of exciting career development opportunities-including research, internships, and professional networking.
Why Choose Geology?
If you want a career that combines scientific inquiry with travel and the opportunity to work on real-world problems, the Geology program at Slippery Rock University is an excellent choice for you. There is a lot of demand for professional geologists across industries and SRU's program will give you the knowledge and skills you need to be one of them. Geology is a perfect fit if you have a strong interest in the physical history of the Earth and the changes it continues to undergo.
What Will You Learn?
Through the SRU Geology program, you'll learn how to:
- Characterize and understand rocks, minerals, and fossils
- Interpret the distribution, structures, and sequences of rocks in the context of plate tectonics
- Understand the formation, distribution, and movement of natural resources such as petroleum, natural gas, and water
Careers In Geology
A background in Geology will prepare you for range of career opportunities. Professional geologists are needed today by:
- Engineering, hydrogeological, and environmental firms
- Geological surveys
- Oil, gas, and mining companies
- State and national parks
- Conservation agencies
- Planning commissions
- Teaching institutions
Clubs & Organizations
- Geography, Geology, and the Environment Club
- Sigma Gamma Epsilon (Geoscience Honorary)