Advanced Placement, College in High School and Dual Enrollment

Advanced Placement (AP) Coursework & Exams

Students must take and successfully pass the AP exam for the appropriate course, with a score of 3 or higher, to receive university credit. Exam scores determine appropriate placement of coursework toward degree requirements. Some academic departments require a score of 4 or 5 to earn major-specific equivalencies. An AP course itself does not guarantee college-level equivalencies. 

For a preview of how AP exams are accepted at SRU, click on AP Course Equivalencies. Official score reports may be obtained by using the College Board AP website. College Board will forward these reports to the SRU Transfer Admissions Office for review, usually in July.

Students planning to eventually apply to graduate programs in the following areas may be asked to repeat the equivalent courses:

  • Athletic Training
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physician Assistant
  • Physical Therapy

For advice and answers to your questions about AP exam scores, please contact

College in High School/Dual Enrollment Coursework

Interested in pursuing coursework from a local community college or four-year university while still in high school?  What a great idea! 

We are often asked if SRU accepts credits from other colleges/universities. Yes, we do. It is, however, more helpful not just to know that we accept credits but how we accept them towards degree completion. Transfer Admissions evaluates credits and assigns them into three areas of a student's degree:  general education (Rock Studies), academic major, and the electives block. Please be advised that SRU accepts credits from all accredited two-year and four-year institutions in all fifty states provided a grade of "D" or better has been earned in non-developmental courses.  

If you complete college-level coursework through the summer of your senior year, SRU considers you an Advanced Standing Freshman, not a Transfer Student.  While we will evaluate your credits in a similar manner, your "freshman" classification remains, only you will have credits towards degree completion.

Some academic majors at SRU have prescribed general education requirements. This important detail is critical as you make class selections in your sophomore, junior and senior year of high school.  Here are the most prominent majors with specific general education requirements:

  • Biology (3+3 PrePT; 3+2 PA)
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Engineering
  • Exercise Science (3+3 PrePT; 3+2 PA)
  • Health & Physical Education Teaching (School Wellness Education)
  • Middle-Level Education
  • Music
  • Safety Management
  • Secondary Education - English & History

Once a student commits to SRU (submits their Reply to Offer form and their $90 enrollment deposit in their SRU application portal), Transfer Admissions can help determine how these credits will transfer in specifically based on their intended major.

Contact for advice and recommendations on college-in-high-school coursework that will be transferrable to SRU.

Official transcripts should be sent to us directly from your institution to the email or mailing address below: 

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
1 Morrow Way
Slippery Rock, PA 16057