Homeland SecurityOffered by: Homeland/Corporate Security Studies
Slippery Rock University's Homeland Security major provides a comprehensive study of the skills needed to prevent man-made and natural disasters. In the program, students learn how to investigate, protect, and minimize the effects of these adversities, as well as how to respond to and recover from those same threats. You will gain knowledge of the many tools used to fight terrorism, protect infrastructures and key assets, secure intelligence, and devise disaster plans to respond to real-world issues.
At Slippery Rock University, you will:
- Gain practical skills you can apply on the job right away
- Study a curriculum focused on critical infrastructure protection, crisis management, risk assessment, and terrorism preparedness
- Learn real-world skills through hands-on courses developed with employer input and taught by experienced faculty
This program awards a Bachelor of Science in Homeland Security degree. SRU also offers an 18-credit minor that includes Introduction to Homeland Security, Risk Analysis, and Crime Prevention.
Why major in Homeland Security?
Since the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks in New York, Virginia and Pennsylvania the concept of emergency preparedness has been expanded to include the task of homeland security — protecting the U.S. from terrorist-caused disasters. Policy planners and operational responders at all levels of government who had previously focused upon natural disasters now have the added responsibility of preparing for and mitigating the effects of politically inspired terrorist violence.
The homeland security program recognizes this dual nature and is designed to give students both theoretical and practical knowledge that will prepare them for the following:
1) Private- or public-sector employment in the expanding area of homeland security as it relates specifically to international and domestic security, as well as emergency preparedness for both security and non security-related incidents
2) Further study in government, international affairs, law enforcement, policy planning or law.
This multidisciplinary program will prepare you for this fast-growing field-exposing you to a wide range of careers and professional certifications.
What Will You Learn?
At SRU, the Homeland Security program teaches the fundamentals of preventing, protecting, mitigating, responding, and recovering from man-made and natural disasters.
Students will study homeland security from a number of perspectives:
- The nature of the terrorist threat to the U.S. from both foreign and domestic organizations, including terrorist motives, methods and history
- Counterterrorism policies ranging from law enforcement to intelligence to the use of military force; vulnerability assessment of public and private infrastructure and institutions
- Critical infrastructure protection
- Ethical, constitutional, law enforcement and civil liberties issues related to the prevention of terrorist attacks through surveillance, immigration restrictions and detention
- Public safety legal questions that arise during governmental responses to natural disaster
- Intelligence analysis of domestic and international threats
- Policy-making topics, such as organizational design and management, interagency processes, and intergovernmental coordination and cooperation within emergency preparedness and counterterrorism institutions at the local, state, federal and international level.
Careers In Homeland Security
There is a wide arrange of careers available for people with a Homeland Security degree. Graduates from SRU's Homeland Security program have the ability to work in positions such as:
- Homeland Security Specialist
- Emergency Management
- Coast Guard
- Customs Agent
- Federal, State, and Local Law Enforcement
- Border Control
- Transportation Security
- CIA Agent
- ICE Agent
- FBI Agent
- US Air Marshal
- ATF Agent
Earn your degree in Homeland Security at SRU!
Slippery Rock University's Homeland Security major prepares students for careers in intelligence, emergency management, border patrol, transportation safety, and immigration. Interested in learning more about Homeland Security at SRU? Request more information today!