Student Hospitalization

The health and wellness of Slippery Rock University students is of utmost importance to the University. Slippery Rock University students who are hospitalized as a result of a physical or mental health condition and wish to return to campus are advised to complete the steps outlined below to ensure full access to resources and options post hospitalization.

For the purposes of this process, hospitalization refers to an admission to a hospital or treatment facility, including intensive outpatient/day treatment, or release against medical advice. Students who are transported to the hospital but released without admission should check in with the Director of Student Support upon their return to the university.

University Contact:
Student Support; c/o Director, Student Support:
Ms. Karla Fonner
Director, Student Support
Slippery Rock University
010 Patterson Hall
Slippery Rock, PA 16057
Phone: 724-738-2121
Fax: 724-738-4920

It is the responsibility of the student/designated guardian/health care facility or campus personnel aware of the situation to notify Student Support of hospitalization/pending release for a physical or mental health condition. The University recommends that the hospitalized student/guardian/health care facility take the following steps:

When hospitalized:
Phone the Director of Student Support at 724-738-2121 for notification of absence. This notification will be provided to faculty and university housing as applicable. This notification will be provided as a courtesy.  It does not excuse the student from any of the work required in class, but only to make pertinent individuals aware of the situation. The student should discuss any missed assignments or exams with faculty upon return to campus.

Prior to return to the University:
To continue enrollment in good standing the student must submit evidence of release of information to allow the hospital, treatment facility, and/or assessing clinician to release information to the Student Support.

Students must also be evaluated by a licensed clinician, and provide a typewritten letter printed on letterhead from the licensed clinician stating a description of the condition for which the student was treated, recommendations for a treatment plan-including medications and dosages, if applicable and the clinician’s assessment of the student’s ability to meet academic requirements.

If the student resides in University housing, the documentation should include the student’s capacity to observe the community standards of residential living. All materials can be submitted to Student Support; c/o Director, Student Support (contact information provided above).

Upon return to the University:
Once a student returns to campus it is the expectation that the student meet with the Director of Student Support or designee. The purpose of this meeting is to review any needs identified in the recommended treatment plan from the medical provider and to confirm access to support systems necessary for the health and well-being of the student. Some examples of things we can talk about are missed coursework, safe housing, how to talk to friends/teammates about hospitalization, parental notification, support systems, and follow up care.

To make an appointment to meet with the Director of Student Support the student should call the Director of Student Support at 724-738-2121 and ask to schedule a post hospitalization meeting with the Director of Student Support.

Medical Withdrawal from the University:
Students requiring a long leave from campus due to a medical condition may be eligible for a medical withdrawal from their course work. While medical withdrawal is an option, it may not be the best option depending upon the student’s current academic or financial status.

If you feel a medical withdrawal would be best given your circumstances, please contact Student Support to discuss.

Confidentiality of records:
The University will make every effort to respect the privacy of students we serve in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). Information obtained through this process may be shared with other on campus service providers including: Student Health Services, the Office of Disability Services, the Student Counseling Center and the campus Behavioral Intervention Team as necessary or applicable. In the event that we receive credible information that a student’s life is in danger or that a student has become a threat to the life of another individual, Student Support will share any information obtained with the appropriate emergency response providers.