Donald Strano, Ed.D., LPC College Counseling Coordinator, Department Chair
Ed. D. in Educational Psychology & Counseling, Texas Tech University
M.Ed. in Counselor Education & Family Studies, Texas Tech University
B.S. in Individual and Family Studies, Pennsylvania State University
Dr. Strano's research interests include professional counselor identity development, social constructionist approaches to counselor education, inferiority feelings as a comparative construct, and the Adlerian construct of life style development as narrative.
Since coming to Slippery Rock University Dr. Strano has been the advisor for students in the Adult specialty of the Community Counseling and the College Counseling program. He has served the department as Graduate Coordinator and Department Chair.
Dr. Strano has been appointed as an Honorary Visiting Fellow with the faculty of Health Sciences, Department of Counseling and Psychological Health, at La Trobe University in Melbourne, Australia from January 2013 to July 2013. He also served as an Adjunct Associate Professor of Counselor Education at the University of New Orleans, the Assistant Dean of Students at Washington University in St. Louis where he coordinated programs for students with disabilities and alcohol and other drug prevention. He also developed and implemented a program for alcohol and other drug prevention at the University of New Orleans. He continues as a Center Associate Emeritus for the Higher Education Center on Alcohol & Other Drug prevention and serves as a grant reviewer for the U.S. Department of Education Safe and Drug Free Schools program.
In 2005 Dr. Strano served as a Mental Health Disaster Services Volunteer for the American Red Cross following Hurricane Katrina. Dr. Strano has 35 years' experience as a professional counselor. He worked as a community counselor at the Crisis Center of Lea County in Hobbs, New Mexico, as a college counselor at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Washington University in St. Louis and the University of New Orleans (where he was the Manager of Clinical Services) and as a Psychologist in a private practice in Webster Groves, Missouri.
Licensure and Certification
- Licensed Professional Counselor, Pennsylvania
- Licensed Professional Counselor, Louisiana (inactive)
- Licensed Counseling Psychologist, Louisiana (inactive)
- Licensed Psychologist, Missouri (inactive)
- Strano, D. A. & Ignelzi, M. G. (2011) Theories for the constructivist counselor. In, McCauliff, G.J. & Erikson, K. P. (Eds), Handbook of Preparing Counselors and Other Helping Professionals: Constructivist, Developmental, and Experiential Approaches. Thousand Oaka, CA: Sage Publications.
- Dixon, P. N. & Strano, D. A. (2006), The measurement of inferiority: A review and directions for scale development. In, Slavik, S. & Carlson, J. (Eds), Reading in The Theory and Practice of Individual Psychology. Philadelphia: Taylor & Francis.
- Strano, D. A. & Petrocelli, J. V. (2005), A preliminary examination of the role of inferiority feelings in the academic achievement of college students. The Journal of Individual Psychology 63 (1).
- Strano, D. A., Cuomo, M. J. & Venable, R. H. (2004), Predictors of undergraduate student binge drinking. The Journal of College Counseling 7 (1) 50-64.
- Strano, D. A. & Dixon, P.N., (1990), A scale for the measurement of inferiority. Journal of Individual Psychology, 46, 1, 29-42.
- Strano, D. A., Davidson, L, & Venable, R. H. The role of the college counselor: Advocate for systems change. The American College Counseling Association National Conference, Reno, NV 10/06.
- Strano, D. A., & Cable, J. The role of analog and digital elements in real-time online communication. 2005 ACES Conference, Pittsburgh, PA. 10/05
Strano, D. A. & Strano, J. D., A tale of Two Worlds - a conversation between counselor educators and employers. International Association of Marriage and Family Counseling 2005 World Conference, New Orleans, LA 01/05.
- Strano, D. A. A bridge from first skills to counseling: A map for new counselors facing emerging models of counseling. Paper presented at the national conference of the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, New Orleans, LA 10/99. State Presentations.
- Strano, D. A. & Venable, R. H. A comparison of campus wide alcohol use with students seeking counseling services. Paper presented at the U.S. Department of Education's 14th Annual National Meeting on Alcohol, Other Drug, and Violence Prevention In Higher Education, Pittsburgh, PA 10/00
- President, Pennsylvania Counseling Association
- Board Member, Pennsylvania Counseling Association
- President, Pennsylvania College Counseling Association
- Treasurer, Pennsylvania College Counseling Association