Students in the Department of Counseling and Development earn a Master of Arts degree in one of our three high-quality, hands-on programs leading to professional positions as counselors and student affairs practitioners. They benefit from engaging professors, small classes, and a partnership with the Slippery Rock University Counseling Center that serves as a laboratory for learning. 

All candidates completing the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program or Student Affairs in Higher Education program are eligible to become a Licensed Professional Counselor in Pennsylvania after achieving a passing score on the National Counselor Examination.  Additionally, candidates must obtain supervised experience, which can begin after the completion of 48 credits.  If you are interested in teaching in another state, please contact the licensing board in that state.