Environmental Education (Master of Education)Offered by: Parks and Conservation
The SRU Master of Education in Environmental Education program is designed to facilitate upward mobility in the field of environmental education and communication by providing students with the skills and experiences needed to excel as environmental educators in formal and informal settings.
This program is ideal for both working educators who possess teaching certification and desire a program of study oriented to non-formal, experiential education and working natural resource managers to effectively integrate environmental education and communication into programs serving public audiences. SRU's Master of Education in Environmental Education consists of 30 credit hours offered exclusively online.
This program helps students increase their understanding of the following:
- societal interactions with ecological systems
- learn to effectively design, implement and evaluate environmental education and communication initiatives in a variety of formal and informal settings
- and make a positive contribute to natural resource conservation and management through a professional internship
Features of this program include:
- Flexibility to fit busy schedules with classes taught exclusively online
- A 30-credit hour program that can be completed in two calendar years
- Coursework that focuses on the theory, practice, and application of experiential, inquiry-based environmental education and communication
- Courses taught by university faculty with extensive experience in environmental education, communication and social aspects of resource management
- Internships can be attempted after completing at least 18 credits in the program
- Online Application
- Application Fee
- Statement of Purpose (describing the applicant's interest in the program, background, and personal/ professional career goals)
- Official Transcripts- Undergraduate/Graduate (Official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronic transcript e-share to email@example.com or via mail- faxed copies will not be considered official)
*Applicants may submit supplemental application materials as a PDF or JPEG file via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (724.738.2146), or mail.
* If you are not a resident of Pennsylvania, please check the list of most recent states approved for online classes and internships by clicking here to see if SRU is authorized to offer distance education and/or field experiences in your state of residency.
PROFESSIONAL LICENSURE CERTIFICATION:
Some states, including Pennsylvania, offer certification through the North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE). While certification is not required; it can advance your career. In Pennsylvania, the requirements include, but are not limited to: a passing score on the Environmental Literacy Test, work portfolio, and attendance at a EE Certification Workshop. Requirements vary by state, so please visit the NAAEE state affiliate where you are employed.