At Slippery Rock University, we believe that academic support lays the unshakeable foundation for student success. Explore all of the resources designed to help build your monumental future.
The Writing Center is available to students in all disciplines looking for peer feedback on their work and insight into the writing process as a whole.
The Tutorial Center will connect students with a highly qualified undergraduate peer tutor who can assist with supplemental instruction and study skills individually or in a group, at no out of pocket cost.
Talking with others about academic, professional, or personal writing projects is one very important aspect of strengthening ourselves as writers. Writing Center Consultants work with you collaboratively to help you navigate your writing goals, obstacles, or challenges rather than revise or edit for you. They provide one-to-one support at any stage of your writing process and with any writing-related assignment. You may benefit from brainstorming your approach to an essay or research assignment, talking through a drafted paper, or working with a Writing Consultant on revising or resubmitting your draft. All Writing Center consultants are professionally qualified and trained to assist.
SRU faculty and staff are also encouraged to seek support through special requests to the Writing Center Director (e.g., one-to-one sessions on syllabi, assignment sheets, lesson plans, and how to incorporate writing-related instruction in the classroom).
In-person and online-synchronous appointments are available for spring 2023. All appointments should be scheduled using our online scheduling platform, Writing Center Online (WCO). See link below. While we do take walk-ins, you will still be asked to create an appointment on our scheduling system for the time you walk in. A Writing Center Consultant will assist you. Please note that walk-ins are only possible if a Writing Center Consultant is available. If a consultant is unavailable, they will work with you on scheduling for the next available session time.
Hours of Operation
(From Monday, January 23 - Monday, May 1)
Follow this link to make an appointment on our new scheduling system or go to sru.mywconline.com.
New users will be asked to complete a registration form before having access to the schedule. You will use this login information for all future scheduling. All SRU students, faculty, and staff can make an account. Further instructions for making and accessing your appointment is available below and posted at the top of the scheduling platform once you are logged in:
- Select an open appointment slot (white)
- Select an in-person (face-to-face) or online-synchronous appointment at the top of the form
- choose a 30- or 60-minute time frame at the top of the form
- 60 minutes is best for most appointments
- 30 minutes is appropriate for 1-2 page documents or for answering a specific question
- fill out the form with as much detail as you can provide
- You can attach your document along with any assignment details or instructions
- An appointment confirmation will be sent to your SRU email, as well as a reminder email 1-day prior to your appointment
In-person (face-to-face) Sessions
You will chat in person with a Writing Center Consultant.
- Go to Bailey Library, First Floor, Room 100
- Arrive five minutes before your scheduled appointment time with your document and any supporting notes or instructions that correspond to your assignment.
- You can also attach your document to the appointment scheduling system.
- See the note above for walk-in appointments.
You will chat in real-time with a consultant either through messaging, audio, and/or video through our online scheduling system, WCO.
- login to your sru.mywconline.com account at least 5 minutes before your appointment
- select the orange appointment slot on the day and time you scheduled your appointment for
- select the red “Start Online Appointment” link on the appointment form
- Follow the instructions on the online platform or wait for your consultant to assist
Note Regrading Session Report Forms
For all sessions, the last 5-10 minutes of your appointment (depending on appointment length) is reserved for re-capping your session, planning next steps, and completing the end-of-session report with the Writing Center Consultant. Students receive this report via their SRU email, which we can send to instructors if requested during the session.
Note for Faculty on Required Visits & Writing Support
While required visits can be beneficial for students, please talk with the Writing Center Director before doing so. Please note that we are not equipped to take full class walk-ins and we will re-direct students to make individual appointments. Please also note that the Writing Center does not replace course writing instruction and instead serves as a supplemental aid to writing support. Consultants can send an end-of-session report form to you if the student requests so during their appointment. Students can also forward their report post-session.
SRU Writing Center Contact
Email email@example.com or call 724.738.2654.
The SRU Tutorial Center offers free academic assistance to SRU students. Our highly qualified peer tutors are trained to provide students with quality services through in-person or virtual appointments. Individual and Group Tutoring Sessions are available. For more information or questions about tutoring, please contact us per the information below.
- Hours: Monday – Thursday, 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Location: 113 Bailey Library
- Phone: 724.738.2845
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please allow a reasonable amount of time for a response)
How to Request Tutoring
Students can request a tutor by visiting their MySRU portal and selecting Tutor Request. Students will then be redirected to the Accudemia website where they can schedule an appointment with a tutor for academic assistance. If no tutor is listed for the desired course, please email us at email@example.com.
Summer & Winter Session Tutoring
Students taking summer classes can receive academic support through Tutor.com, which a virtual 24/7 tutoring platform. To request a tutor during the summer and winter sessions, please visit your D2L portal and select the “Tutor.com” tab on the main page. Please note that the Tutorial Center does not offer in-person, peer tutoring during the summer and winter sessions.
Apply to Be a Tutor
The Tutorial Center invites upper-class students from all academic areas to apply to be a peer tutor. Our tutors gain valuable leadership, communication, and problem-solving skills to prepare for their future career goals. Peer tutors must have received a grade of an A or B in the class they wish to tutor and have an overall GPA of 2.7. Please visit Handshake to submit your application today! Visit https://sru.joinhandshake.com/jobs/4967739/ to apply today!