At Slippery Rock University, we believe that academic support lays the unshakeable foundation for student success. Explore all of the resources designed to help build your monumental future.
The Writing Center is available to students in all disciplines looking for peer feedback on their work and insight into the writing process as a whole.
The Tutorial Center will connect students with a highly qualified undergraduate peer tutor who can assist with supplemental instruction and study skills individually or in a group, at no out of pocket cost.
The Writing Center will be face-to-face for the 2021-2022 academic year. (Students enrolled in online-only courses may access the Writing Center virtually.)
The Writing Center services are free for Slippery Rock University students. It is located on the first floor of Bailey Library and the hours are Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m.-7 p.m. & Friday: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Qualified Writing Center consultants help students work through any writing issues they may experience at any stage of the writing process. All students in all disciplines are welcome. Writing Center consultants collaborate with student writers, working with them to address their concerns.
Visiting the Writing Center (in-person):
For immediate assistance in person, students can visit the Writing Center in Bailey Library during the open hours noted above.
Visiting the Writing Center (virtually):
Only students enrolled in online-only courses (or who are missing class because of illness) may use the virtual access feature of the Writing Center.
Option #1: After completing a Student Registration form, linked here, upload your paper and related handouts from your professor to email@example.com. A Writing Center consultant will get back within 48 hours (during the week).
Option #2: After completing a Student Registration form, linked here, save it to your desktop, and make an online appointment to visit the Writing Center using the Calendly app here: https://calendly.com/sru-writing-center-office-hours/20min.
To ensure a Writing Center visit is at is its most productive, please note the following:
- All visitors must complete a Student Registration form in person if visiting Bailey Library or upload one.
- Sessions usually last between 20 to 30 minutes.
- Always bring/upload any handouts, rubrics, models., etc. from your professor, along with your paper to be evaluated.
- Be prepared to make revisions. Students will need to leave themselves enough time to meet with a tutor and also to revise the paper after the meeting. (Waiting until the last minute will not allow students to effectively revise.)
- Consultants are not allowed to proofread. However, the Writing Center does strive to facilitate the development of improved writing skills. Tutors are trained to help students detect problems and to correct them independently.
724.738.2845 (Monday-Thursday 9am-6:30pm and Friday 11am-4:00pm) or email: SRU_tutoring@sru.edu. Please allow a reasonable amount of time for a response.
Tutoring Services will continue to be available and free for any SRU student. For the 2020-2021 Academic Year, tutoring will be offered through an online experience. Our highly qualified Peer Tutors are prepared to provide students with exceptional services, as they are trained to assist students through an online format, such as Zoom. Tutoring can be done individually and in group sessions. Questions regarding tutoring can be sent to: SRU_tutoring@sru.edu.
Students interested in requesting a tutor- can do this by following these steps:
- Log onto your My SRU portal account.
- Select the Academics Tab.
- Scroll down to Academic Support Tools.
- Select Tutor Request, when it brings you to next page, select Create Tutor Request.
- Check that your contact information is correct. If not, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A drop-down tab will appear, with available classes, under Course to be Tutored.
- Select the class for which you need tutoring.
- Include your availability for tutoring.
- Indicate you have read and understand the “No Show” policy and submit.
Students interested in becoming a Tutor:
Go to https://sru.joinhandshake.com/jobs/3797082/ to apply.