At Slippery Rock University, we believe that academic support lays the unshakeable foundation for student success. Explore all of the resources designed to help build your monumental future.
The Writing Center is available to students in all disciplines looking for peer feedback on their work and insight into the writing process as a whole.
The Tutorial Center will connect students with a highly qualified undergraduate peer tutor who can assist with supplemental instruction and study skills individually or in a group, at no out of pocket cost.
The Writing Center will be online for the 2020-2021 academic year.
The Writing Center is a free service to students at Slippery Rock University. The hours are Mon-Thurs, 9 a.m. - 7 p.m. & Fri 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Writing Center consultants help students work through writing issues they experience at any stage of the writing process. All writers in all disciplines are welcome. Qualified consultants collaborate with student writers, working with them to address their concerns.
To ensure a Writing Center visit is at is its most productive, please note the following:
- All visitors must upload a completed Student Registration form before visiting, linked here.
- Sessions usually last between 20 to 45 minutes.
- Always upload any handouts/rubrics from your professor, along with your paper to be evaluated.
- Be prepared to make revisions. Students will need to leave themselves enough time to meet with a tutor and also to revise the paper after the meeting. (Waiting until the last minute will not allow students to effectively revise.)
- Consultants are not allowed to proofread. However, the Writing Center does strive to facilitate the development of improved writing skills. Tutors are trained to help students detect problems and to correct them independently.
Visiting the Writing Center:
Option #2: For a paper that needs more extensive advising, upload it, any handouts from your professor, and a completed Student Registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org. A Writing Center consultant will get back within 48 hours, during the week.
724.738.2845 (Monday-Thursday 9am-6:30pm and Friday 11am-4:00pm) or email: SRU_tutoring@sru.edu. Please allow a reasonable amount of time for a response.
Tutoring Services will continue to be available and free for any SRU student. For the 2020-2021 Academic Year, tutoring will be offered through an online experience. Our highly qualified Peer Tutors are prepared to provide students with exceptional services, as they are trained to assist students through an online format, such as Zoom. Tutoring can be done individually and in group sessions. Questions regarding tutoring can be sent to: SRU_tutoring@sru.edu.
Students interested in requesting a tutor- can do this by following these steps:
- Log onto your My SRU portal account.
- Select the Academics Tab.
- Scroll down to Academic Support Tools.
- Select Tutor Request, when it brings you to next page, select Create Tutor Request.
- Check that your contact information is correct. If not, contact email@example.com.
- A drop-down tab will appear, with available classes, under Course to be Tutored.
- Select the class for which you need tutoring.
- Include your availability for tutoring.
- Indicate you have read and understand the “No Show” policy and submit.
Students interested in becoming a Tutor:
Go to https://sru.joinhandshake.com/jobs/3797082/ to apply.