Why Success Coaching?
Our mission is to empower students to discover, reflect, and grow, becoming life-long, courageous learners.
Success Coaching provides students with an accountability partner and sounding board who is invested in their unique college experience and goals. Our coaches challenge students to be active agents in their college journey. In doing so, our students experience:
- Connection to campus resources that lead to thriving in college
- Tools and strategies to maximize academic success
- Deeper learning and motivation
- Awareness of one’s needs as a learner
- Specific actions and strategies to accomplish goals
Our guiding principles
- Success Coaching is highly collaborative and relies on the model of a convoy of social support (Schlossberg, 2012) and resources for academic development.
- Success Coaching is a proactive approach to assist students in their holistic development. Success Coaching is for all students! Any students at SRU are invited to see a Success Coach.
- Sessions are conversational and co-constructive, embracing personal narrative and inviting students to share their story and experiences.
- Success Coaching is for all students! Any students at SRU are invited to see a Success Coach.
What our students are saying
“What I have enjoyed most about success coaching is the support and mentorship from my coach. I feel like ever since I began receiving coaching that areas such as my academic performance and social and professional relationships have improved significantly. The connections I have made as a result of participating have been with the Disability Resource Center as well my student coach herself. I feel I have grown a lot as a result of success coaching in terms of my organizational strategies and goal-building efforts. I would encourage a new student to connect with a success coach, because it is a wonderful support system that will help a student succeed personally and academically with a concrete, individualized plan. My favorite motivational quote is by Mahatma Gandhi - “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”"
Liv Tishman, OTS
Slippery Rock University, Class of 2021
Occupational Therapy Doctorate Program