Jodi Sindlinger, PhD, LPC, NCC, Assistant Professor
Program Coordinator, M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Supervision, Duquesne University
M.A. in Counseling Psychology, Slippery Rock University
B.A. in Psychology, Penn State University
Dr. Sindlinger’s areas of scholarship include counselor education, supervision of counselors-in-training, and the scholarship of teaching & learning. Scholarly interests include counselor/clinical supervision, program evaluation, self-study as action research, school-based mental health, identity development in college students, and school counseling.
Dr. Sindlinger joined SRU in 2008 while serving as Director of Behavioral Health Services at an Outpatient Psychiatric Clinic in Western Pennsylvania. She has 25+ years of professional counseling and counseling-related experience working with adults, youth, and families in Pennsylvania and Nevada. She has held professional positions in community-based behavioral healthcare, outpatient psychiatric & psychotherapy clinics, alcohol & other drug treatment programs, college/universities, public & private school districts, and private practice. She maintains professional licensure in PA and is an active counselor and consultant in private practice.
Dr. Sindlinger is the Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) Graduate Program Coordinator and an Assistant Professor of Counseling in the Department of Counseling & Development. She teaches a variety of courses within the School Counseling and CMHC programs and supervises students in advanced fieldwork. Dr. Sindlinger leads the Department’s Strategic Planning Committee, serves as the University Liaison to the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling & Counseling-Related Programs (CACREP), and led the CMHC team successfully through the accreditation process.
Dr. Sindlinger serves as Faculty Facilitator for Chi Sigma Iota, International Honor Society in Counseling (Alpha Gamma Chapter). She is a Counseling Advisory Board member for several local school districts and a member of a number of professional organizations including the American Counseling Association, American School Counseling Association, American School Counseling Association, PA School Counseling Association and the Eastern Educational Research Association.
SELECTED PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Sindlinger, J., (2022, Feb. 3-4). Covid-in-context: Undergraduate Students’ Experiences of Covid-Related Circumstances within and Beyond the Educational Environment. (Paper Presentation). The 45th Annual Eastern Educational Research Association Conference.
- Sindlinger, J., (2022, Feb. 3-4). Supervisor role call: Finding commonality as supervisors of teacher candidates, counselors-in-training, etc. (Round Table Presentation). The 45th Annual Eastern Educational Research Association Conference.
- Carney, J., Hettinger, K., Behrend, B., Stallings, E., Sindlinger, J., White, K., Dennis, B. and Windham, H. (2021, February 18-19). Impact of COVID-19 on the college environment: Considering impact on students and faculty. [Special Invited Session]. The 44th Annual Eastern Educational Research Association Conference.
- Sindlinger, J., Hale, J., McCoy, M. (2020, October 2-4). Coping in college: An examination of college students' coping styles [60-minute Educational Session canceled]. 52nd Annual Pennsylvania Counseling Association Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Love, G., Hale, J., & Sindlinger, J. (2019). Engaging diversity training without engaging resistance: Provocative approaches with majority-culture counselors-in-training. The International Journal of Organizational Diversity 19(1), 19-28.
- Ignelzi, M., Sindlinger, J., & Walker. S. (2019, March 3-8). Ethical dilemmas of undergraduates: Changes over the past 20 years. Presented at the American College Personnel Association (ACPA) convention, Boston, MA.
LICENSURE & CERTIFICATION
- Licensed Professional Counselor | Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Certified Professional School Counselor | Pennsylvania Dept. of Education
- Nationally Certified Counselor | National Board for Certified Counselors
- Finalist-President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, Slippery Rock University 2021/22