Jane V. Hale, Ph.D., LPC, Associate Professor, Graduate Coordinator, & School Counseling Program Coordinator
Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision, Duquesne University.
M.S. Ed. in Community Counseling and School Counseling, Youngstown State University
B.A. in Sociology, Westminster College
LICENSURE AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Licensed Professional Counselor, Pennsylvania
- Certified School Counselor (Level II, K-6), Pennsylvania
- Certified in Choice Theory/Reality Therapy through the William Glasser Institute
Dr. Hale has an extensive resume of practitioner experience in both the mental health and school counseling fields. She has worked as a therapist in a family-based program, started a private practice specializing in the treatment of adolescents and families, was a professional school counselor at the elementary school level, and provided counseling services to students in a public special education school. Jane is certified in Choice Theory and Reality Therapy (CT/RT) through the William Glasser Institute and infuses the principles of her training into her teaching, supervision, and clinical practice.
Her research agenda clearly outlines the application of CT/RT to the practice of counseling, supervision, and teaching. Dr. Hale is specifically interested in how CT/RT is used to improve school climate, motivation, and overall achievement. She recently co-authored a book chapter about the Glasser Quality Schools and has various publications about the application of CT/RT to counselor supervision, group counseling, and working with diverse populations.
- Love, G., Hale, J., & Sindlinger, J. (2019). Engaging diversity training without engaging resistance: Provocative approaches with majority-culture counselors-in-training. The International Journal of Organizational Diversity 19(1), 19-28.
- Hale, J.V. & Robey, P. (2018). It all begins with relationships: The Glasser Quality School Model In Daniels, K.N. & Billingsby, K, (Ed.) Creating Caring and Supportive Educational Environments for Meaningful Learning. IGI Global.
- Hale, J.V. & Sindlinger, J. (2017). Re-envisioning reflective supervision: A Choice Theory/Reality Therapy application using reflecting teams. International Journal of Choice Theory and Reality Therapy: An On-Line Journal, 37(1), 57-66.
- Hale, J.V. (2017) Making a "choice:" Using family sculpting in family separation groups In Viers, D. (Ed.) The Group Therapist's Notebook, 2nd Edition: Homework, Handouts, and Activities for Use in Psychotherapy. Routledge: A Taylor and Francis Group.
- Hale, J. (2015). Voices from the field 15.1. In B. T. Erford (Ed.), Transforming the school counseling profession (4th ed.). Columbus, OH: Person Merrill.
- Hale, J. V. and Maola, J. (2012). Achievement among second grade students who received instruction from either teachers trained in choice theory/reality therapy or teachers who were not so trained. International Journal of Choice Theory and Reality Therapy: An On-Line Journal, Vol. XXXI, No. 1 - fall 2011, p. 109-126.
- Hale, J.V. (2018, November). Motivation, Meaning, and Relationships through the Quality School Model. Pennsylvania School Counselor's Association 63rd Annual Conference. Hershey, PA.
- Hale, J.V. and Hinson, M. (2017, July). Constructing a Quality World by Promoting Social Justice and Advocacy. Diversity is Reality - Respect is a Choice: William Glasser Institute National Conference. Raleigh, NC.
- Hale, J.V., Drozda, N., Sindlinger, J., and Love, G. (2015, October). Challenging Ethnocentric Monoculturalism: Implications for Unique and Provocative Pedagogy, Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Hale, J. V., and Tekwani, S. (2014, July). "Coming out" with choice theory. International Conference-Glasser in the 21st Century. Toronto, Canada.
- Hale, J. V. (2014, July). A systemic approach in school counseling: Using genograms in a choice theory framework. International Conference-Glasser in the 21st Century. Toronto, Canada.
- Chi Sigma Iota, Chapter Faculty Advisor
- Westminster College Towering Titan Organization (Athletic Advisory Board), Secretary
- American School Counselor Association Advisory Committee for Mohawk Area School District, Board Member
- Nominated Outstanding Academic Advisor Award (2014, 2015)