College of Education
Welcome to the College of Education at Slippery Rock University!
Whether you are an interested student, current student, or an alumnus, there is a lot our college has to offer you.
We are a college that:
- Produced the 3rd most teachers out of 98 Universities in PA with teacher education (2019)
- Landed 62% of our graduates full-time jobs in their field (2017)
- Created our first ever doctoral degree in Special Education (2014)
- Created a Master's Degree in Technology for Online Instruction (2014)
- Created a doctoral degree in Educational Leadership and Administration (click here for more information--- starting Fall, 2020)
- Created an online Principal Certification Program (Fall, 2020)
- Drove, and continue to drive, efforts to promote teacher diversity, equity, and inclusivity (click here for more information)
- Earned NCATE's maximum seven (7) year re-accreditation award period, and maintained our Counseling Center accreditation in 2015
- Secured over $1.8 million in grant funding since 2012 (Most recently the PA Dept. of Ed. Troops-to-Teachers Grant, awarded 2017-2023)
- Awarded 103 Professor Protégé fellowships which awarded qualified freshman with $800 in stipends and a new iPad
- Produced graduates who are winning awards and making a difference: Click HERE to read more.
- Attracted award-winning faculty, including: Click HERE to read more.
Garnered the following recognitions:
- College of Education was ranked 2nd in PA in 2016 by tobecometeacher.org
- Special Education program was ranked 10th best in the U.S. out of 425 qualifying colleges in 2016 by http://www.teacher.org
- Early Childhood program was ranked 19th best in the U.S. out of 425 qualifying colleges in 2016 by http://www.teacher.org
- Counseling program, which merged with the counseling center, was ranked 5th in the state in 2016 by topcounselingschools.org
- Physical and Health Education transition programs, including the Rock Life and Transition Achievement Program, which provide college and high school students who have intellectual or development disabilities with life-skills training and prepares them for competitive employment, was selected to receive the 2018 ACHIEVA Awards of Excellence for Professional Service
- Online master's degree in math education program- secondary education: math/science with STEM concentration- was ranked by OnlineMasters.com as one of the "best online master's in math education programs" for 2019
- Online master's degree in history was ranked as one of the top 25 programs in the country by TheBestSchools.org for 2018
I wish you all the best of luck in whatever way you chose to participate in the COE!
Dr. Keith Dils
Dean, College of Education