Graduate Assistantships and Interview Day
Counseling and Development Students Seeking Graduate Assistantships
Each year, Graduate Assistantship providers across the SRU campus and at partner institutions participate in a focused hiring process with the Department of Counseling and Development. GA Providers are particularly interested in hiring students enrolled in the following programs:
- Student Affairs and Higher Education (SAHE),
- College Counseling,
- School Counseling, and
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC)
Our students develop valuable skills and knowledge that assist these offices in their work with students.
Many SRU offices offer Graduate Assistantships that involve direct student interaction. Through their coursework, CDEV students acquire competencies in counseling & communication, social justice advocacy, program research/assessment, and group leadership. CDEV curriculum content closely aligns with the mission and goals of many offices on campus, making for mutually beneficial partnerships between our department and Graduate Assistantship providers on campus.
For students enrolled in our Student Affairs and Higher Education and College Counseling programs, we strongly encourage these students to seek out Graduate Assistantships. In addition to the financial benefits, Graduate Assistantships provide SAHE and College Counseling students with valuable campus work experience that will give those pursuing careers in higher education environments a strong advantage on the job market upon graduation.
Information (eligibility, work schedule, financial awards, etc.) regarding SRU Graduate Assistantships can be found here.
How Counseling and Development Students Apply for Graduate Assistantships
Effective July 30, 2022, the student application process for graduate assistantships has changed to Handshake! Instruction videos about using Handshake are available here.
A list of the Graduate Assistantships being offered through CDEV and instructions for how to apply are listed here. Please check this list frequently, as it will be updated often until all GA positions are filled.
Each year, Graduate Assistantship providers across the SRU campus participate in a focused hiring process with the Department of Counseling and Development. This year’s Interview Day is February 24, 2023, for Graduate Assistantship interviews for students in our programs. GA interviews will be held during the morning hours, from 9am to noon in the Smith Campus Center. Students who cannot attend the Interview Day in person should contact Dr. Molly Mistretta (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss alternate arrangements.
All students participating in Interview Day will be offered a meal voucher for lunch at Rocky’s in the Smith Student Center. There will also be additional activities for planned for students that day in the following programs:
- Student Affairs in Higher Education & College Counseling – During the afternoon hours, SAHE students will have opportunities to meet with program faculty, participate in a mock class, and interact with SRU student affairs professionals. Current and alumni of the program will also be on hand to answer questions and share their experiences in the program. Further details will be provided.
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling – program faculty will be available to meet with students from 11am -1pm. Further details will be provided.
- School Counseling – program faculty will be available to meet with students from 11am-1pm. Further details will be provided.