To apply, complete the CASPA (Central Application Service for Physicians Assistants) application. Applications will be accepted from May 1 to December 1.
- A minimum of a baccalaureate degree or completion of the first three years of the SRU 3+2 Pre-PA Concentration AND the following prerequisites:
- General Biology with lab (3-4 credits)
- A&P I with lab (3-4 credits)+
- A&P II with lab (3-4 credits)+
- Medical Microbiology or Microbiology with lab (3-4 credits)
- Genetics (3-4 credits, lab recommended but not required)
- Highly Recommended: one upper-level biology or biochemistry course with or without lab in addition to the required biology courses listed above.
- General Chemistry I with lab (3-4 credits)
- General Chemistry II with lab (3-4 credits)
- Organic Chemistry I (3-4 credits, lab recommended but not required)
- Inferential statistics course (3 credits, any statistics course with inferential statistics embedded)
- Psychology course (3 credits, introductory, developmental, or abnormal psychology)
- College writing or composition course (3 credits)
- College literature course (3 credits)
- Medical Terminology (at least 1 credit)+
- A grade of "C" or better will be required for all prerequisite biology and chemistry courses.
- Official transcripts from any college/university where credits have been earned.
- Completion of 100 hours or more of community service and/or service learning satisfied through any type of purposeful VOLUNTEER activity or event that benefits the community. Hours MUST be completed prior to on campus interview.
- Completion of 40 hours or more of clinical experience, exposure, or shadowing. Of these hours, at least 16 must be with at least two different Physician Assistants in at least two different areas of medicine. Hours MUST be completed prior to on campus interview.
- At least two letters of recommendation (one from a health care provider, particularly a Physician Assistant, highly recommended).
- An essay on why applicant wants to be a Physician Assistant (5000 character limit = approx. 625 words. Characters include spaces, carriage returns, numbers, letters, etc.)
- A minimum CAPA calculated GPA of at least 3.25 on a 4.0 scale for the following areas: Cumulative GPA - 3.25; Prerequisiste GPA - 3.25; Science GPA - 3.25 (Bio & Chem courses only)
- Completion of a successful interview
- Students enrolled in the PA 3+2 or 4+2 programs are allowed to take courses at other universities, according to University policy. However, the view is that it is best based on course content and preparation that the students take the courses at SRU.
* Preference is given to SRU 3+2 students, SRU graduates, other state system school graduates and veterans.
Applicants who are offered and accept admission will be required to submit a $500 deposit within 2 weeks of notification to hold a seat in the upcoming class.
+ taken within the past 10 years
* Please note, if you are an international applicant that requires an F-1 Student Visa it is recommended that you do not apply. Slippery Rock University does not have approval to create I-20 Visa's for the Physician Assistant Studies Program.
**The ARC-PA has granted Accreditation-Provisional status to the Slippery Rock University Physician Assistant Program sponsored by Slippery Rock University.
Accreditation-Provisional is an accreditation status granted when the plans and resource allocation, if fully implemented as planned, of a proposed program that has not yet enrolled students appear to demonstrate the program's ability to meet the ARC-PA Standards or when a program holding Accreditation-Provisional status appears to demonstrate continued progress in complying with the Standards as it prepares for the graduation of the first class (cohort) of students.Accreditation-Provisional does not ensure any subsequent accreditation status. It is limited to no more than five years from matriculation of the first class.
PROFESSIONAL LICENSURE CERTIFICATION
All candidates completing the PA program are eligible to be registered in Pennsylvania after achieving a passing score on a national examination. If you are interested in practicing in another state, please contact the licensing board in that state.