Animal-Assisted Social Work CertificateOffered by: Social Work
The increased knowledge of the benefits of human-animal interaction has led to greater demand for skilled practitioners who can address the many psychosocial needs of children and adults utilizing animal-assisted interventions.
Through specialized instruction, students will be prepared to utilize therapy and crisis response dogs in their professional practice settings to enhance functioning of those they serve.
The certificate courses can also be applied to the MSW degree if students later decide to complete the required course requirements.
SRU’s MSW program offers this certificate for those currently enrolled in the MSW program or for practicing professionals and non-degree seeking individuals who wish to enhance their knowledge and expertise of animal-assisted interventions:
Required courses (3):
- SOWK 740: Animal-assisted social work practice
- SOWK 744: Animal-assisted crisis response
- SOWK 742: Animal-assisted social work with kids
- SOWK 743 Animal-assisted social work with seniors
- Flexible hybrid format
- Hands-on training with therapy dogs
- Expert, licensed faculty with doctoral degrees
- Practical experience developing and providing animal-assisted interventions
- This certificate can be earned simultaneously with the MSW degree
All applicants must submit the following materials along with a completed online graduate application and a non-refundable application fee:
- Online Application
- Application Fee
- Official Transcripts- Undergraduate/Graduate (Official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronic transcript e-share to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail- faxed copies will not be considered official)
- SRU current/Alumni/former students click here to order your official SRU final transcript and have it sent to email@example.com
- An essay explaining applicant’s career interests and goals related to animal-assisted social work (submit to firstname.lastname@example.org)