Elementary Education: K-12 Reading (Certification)Offered by: Elementary Education
GRADUATE SCHOOL EVENTS: View upcoming Information Sessions and Open House dates
The Elementary Education K-12 Reading Certification program at SRU enables teachers to add the K-12 reading specialist certification and an endorsement in instructional coaching / literacy emphasis to their current teaching certificates-while also earning an Masters of Education in Reading. This program is perfect for certified teachers who want to enhance their knowledge and expertise in teaching literacy; expand employment opportunities to include reading specialist, literacy coach, and K-12 reading; and meet requirements for Level II Certification, Act 48, or a Masters of Education degree.
Candidates seeking only to receive Pennsylvania Reading Specialist Certification must complete 21 credits of graduate courses in reading. Candidates must also pass the Praxis II Specialty Test in reading. Should a candidate choose to continue his/her studies toward the attainment of a graduate degree, all of the core coursework will count toward the Master of Education degree with a concentration in reading.
For teachers who are interested in preparing for roles as both reading specialists and instructional coaches, the SRU K-12 Reading Specialist Certification and Instructional Coaching Endorsement-Literacy Emphasis program provides additional preparation in instructional coaching with a literacy emphasis, and leads to certification as a K-12 reading specialist and an instructional coaching endorsement from the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
The SRU Elementary Education K-12 Reading Certification program offer working professionals:
- Flexibility and convenience with all courses offered exclusively online
- Small class sizes
Experienced faculty with doctoral degrees who are experts in their fields
Attention: If you are applying to a graduate program after June 23rd, please follow the checklist within the application for all uploading instructions and use this link to apply now.
- $25 Application Fee
- Official Transcripts- Undergraduate/Graduate (Official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronic transcript e-share to email@example.com or via mail- faxed copies will not be considered official)
- SRU current/Alumni/former students click here to order your official SRU final transcript and have it sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resume (Submit to email@example.com )
- A Copy of Teaching Certificate (any state) -- (Note: The reading specialist certification can only be added to an instructional certificate, not an educational specialist certification.) (Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Two Electronic Reference Forms: two from a professional or one from a professional and one from a faculty member (applicant responsible for forwarding appropriate link to evaluator)
Note: If you are requesting review of your graduate transcripts for transfer of credit, please complete the transfer of credit form and submit to the Office of Graduate Admissions with official graduate transcripts. Please review SRU's transfer of credit policy.
*Applicants may submit supplemental application materials as a PDF or JPEG file via email (email@example.com), fax (724.738.2146), or mail. Applicants may also choose to submit their supplemental materials via the wufoo forms linked above.
* If you are not a resident of Pennsylvania, please check the list of most recent states approved for online classes and internships by clicking here to see if SRU is authorized to offer distance education and/or field experiences in your state of residency.
*Clearances are due no later than one (1) week prior to deadline for course registration for each program's practicum/field experience-----no student will be permitted to register for their program's practicum and take part in practicum/field experiences without clear clearances on file at SRU. Students are to send the following by the due date:
- Clear Act 34 Criminal History Record: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Clearance must be less than one year old at the time of submission.
- Clear Act 114 FBI Record Check: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Clearance must be less than one year old at the time of submission.
- Clear Act 151 Child Abuse Background Check: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Clearance must be less than one year old at the time of submission.
- Act 24 Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Students must file an updated Act 24 with SRU if any additional arrests/convictions occur while enrolled at SRU.