Gifted Education (PDE Endorsement)Offered by: Elementary Education / Early Childhood
All learners deserve the highest quality of instruction possible. Are you interested in learning to respond to the unique qualities and characteristics of gifted students? SRU's online Gifted Education program might be the perfect program for you!
Slippery Rock University's Gifted Endorsement program is a 12 credit, graduate-level program leading to a PDE K-12 endorsement in Gifted Education. This program will be offered for already certified Level I or Level II educators who wish to add an endorsement to their current PA teaching certificate.
According to the National Association for Gifted Children, gifted learners are those who demonstrate outstanding levels of aptitude (defined as an exceptional ability to reason and learn) or competence (documented academic performance or achievement in the top 10% or rarer) in one or more domains.
Further, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Education, mentally gifted learners demonstrate outstanding intellectual and creative ability which requires specially designed instructional programs or support services, or both, not ordinarily provided in the regular education program, and includes, but not limited to, those students who have an IQ of 130 or higher.
SRU's Gifted Education Endorsement offers educators:
- 100% online courses
- Advanced training for teachers who hold teaching certifications
- Access to enhanced and advanced content and instructional strategies
- The ability to create an environment in which gifted learners can feel challenged and safe to explore, take risks, and express their uniqueness
- An opportunity to earn 48 credits
Applicants to the Gifted Education Endorsement programs must already hold a valid teaching certificate, Level I or Level II certification. In order to be considered for admission, the following materials must be submitted with the
- Online graduate application
- Non-refundable $25 application fee:
- Official undergraduate transcripts from the applicant's baccalaureate granting institution with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher and any graduate transcripts (if any).
- A resume indicating the candidate's professional education employment history and current status (student-teaching, tenured, non-tenured; full-time, part-time, substitute) with a school district (submit to firstname.lastname@example.org).
- A copy of the applicant's current teaching certification(s) or a letter from the certifying university indicating that requirements for a teaching certification have been met and that the certification application is currently being processed. This can be from any state (submit to email@example.com).
- Two electronic recommendation forms from professional references (applicant responsible for sending link to evaluators)
Students who are admitted will be required to submit health screenings and clearances to the Elementary/Early Childhood Education Department which are required by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.