Principal (Certification)Offered by: Secondary Education / Foundations of Education
Slippery Rock University offers a 21-credit online Principal certification through the Secondary Education department.
Leadership is arguably the most critical factor in achieving excellence in higher education. Slippery Rock University’s (SRU) Principal Certification is designed to produce executive leaders that are capable of managing the growing complexities and demands that K-12 Schools in Pennsylvania need today. The program addresses the development of knowledge, skills, and dispositions required to effectively lead a school by establishing an organizational vision, creating and implementing a strategic plan, exercising shared governance, and engaging in effective decision making. The program will also focus on leading edge approaches in such areas as organization systems, finance, budgeting, enrollment management, marketing, management, fundraising, and the development of the inner strengths of leaders. This holistic approach will prepare principals for leadership roles in Pennsylvania’s schools.
SRU’s Principal Program consists of 21 credits and is delivered online with two practicum placements. Courses are taught during the fall, winter, spring, and summer terms. In addition, Students will receive online synchronous advisement (e.g., webinar, telephone and/or video conferencing). The program is offered part-time.
Slippery Rock University’s Principal Certification offers:
- 100% online delivery
- A competitive curriculum that focuses on highly practical by design, with course topics that are centered on the application of the most recent and perennial trends in educational leadership
- Experienced faculty with administrative experience
All applicants must submit the following materials along with the completed online graduate application and non-refundable application fee of $25.00:
- Official transcripts - undergraduate and graduate degree transcripts
- GPA requirements - undergraduate GPA of a 3.0 and graduate degree with a 3.5 or higher
- Resume (upload to email@example.com)
- Copy of teaching certificate, a PA certificate is not required (upload to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Two letters of recommendation (references who can articulate the applicant’s academic background) (upload to email@example.com)
Licensure Assessment Exam
Principal Certification candidates are required to take the School Leaders Licensure Assessment exam, test code 6990 (computer-based only). ETS School Leadership Series website https://www.ets.org/sls/prepare/materials/6990.