Student Affairs in Higher Education (Master of Arts)Offered by: Counseling and Development
Slippery Rock University’s Master of Arts in Student Affairs in Higher Education (SAHE) program offers the knowledge and skills to work with diverse student populations and college personnel in all areas of student affairs. As one of the oldest student affairs graduate programs in Pennsylvania, SRU’s faculty have relevant expertise and provide opportunities for experiential learning to further students' future careers at colleges and universities. This 42-credit-hour program is typically completed in two academic years. SRU’s program operates on the cohort model, allowing our students to build a supportive community as they progress through the program.
Why get a master’s degree in student affairs?
The Master’s in Student Affairs in Higher Education prepares our graduate students for leadership positions in the student affairs division of a college or university. Graduates receive the qualifications and training for student affairs employment in multiple functional areas, including: residence life, career services, student activities and Greek life, admissions and orientation, multicultural and international student services, leadership programs, academic advising, judicial affairs, and financial aid.
What will you learn?
Our students build knowledge in the theory and practice of student affairs, including critical counseling-related skills to effectively understand and communicate with college students. Our program’s faculty hold degrees in students affairs or degrees related to higher education. SRU’s Master’s in Student Affairs degree meets the professional standard set by the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS), demonstrating our dedication to a comprehensive curriculum.
We offer a variety of career-centered innovative experiences like professional guest presenters, simulations, and visits to other campuses. In addition, students are encouraged to apply for graduate assistantships, allowing them to gain practical experience working on Slippery Rock’s campus.
Careers in Student Affairs
Earning an M.A. in Student Affairs in Higher Education leads to a variety of student-facing opportunities in higher education administration. Common job titles in this field include:
- Student Academic Advisor
- Campus Program Coordinator
- Student Engagement Coordinator
- Student Affairs Administrator
- Admissions Officers
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion professionals
In large part to SRU’s commitment to experiential learning in the program, 95% of our graduates secure a position in higher education.
Clubs & Organizations
For SRU’s graduate program in Student Affairs, the priority application deadline is December 1 for students seeking a graduate assistantship. After that date, applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. This program has a fall semester start date due to our cohort model.
- Online Application
- Application Fee
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 is required to be considered for unconditional admission
- GRE/MAT is waived due to COVID-19, until further notice
- Personal Statement indicating their interest in the program, experience, and career goals (please see prompt on the form)
- Reference Release Form listing your two academic references
- Two Electronic Reference Forms from a former or current college or university faculty member with knowledge of the applicant's academic aptitude, suitability for intended program area, and ability to form interpersonal relationships (applicant is responsible for forwarding the reference form link to evaluators)
- Official Transcripts- Undergraduate/Graduate (Official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronic transcript e-share to email@example.com or via mail- faxed copies will not be considered official)
- SRU current/Alumni/former students click here to order your official SRU final transcript and have it sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
*If you are requesting review of your graduate transcripts for transfer of credit, please complete the transfer of credit form and submit to the Office of Graduate Admissions with official graduate transcripts. Please review SRU's transfer of credit policy.
Earn your Master’s in Student Affairs at SRU!
SRU’s Master of Arts in Student Affairs in Higher Education fosters professionals with aspirations to work in student affairs at a college or university. Our graduate program in student affairs has strong career outcomes due to our focus on experiential learning, which prepares our students to excel in this rewarding career path.
Request information to learn more about SRU’s student affairs degree.