Computing: Information TechnologyOffered by: Computer Science
If you like working with computers and you want a career in a growing field, Information Technology (IT) is for you. The IT concentration at SRU teaches you the techniques needed for creating highly interactive computer systems while strengthening your problem-solving and critical-thinking abilities. As a graduate of this concentration, you'll have the technical expertise to manage computing systems used by programmers, database managers, remote employees, and customers.
Why Choose Information Technology?
Students choose the SRU Information Technology concentration for a few key reasons:
- Career Opportunity: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in information technology is projected to grow 12% from 2012 to 2022. The median salary for an IT professional was $72,560 in May 2012.
- Student-Focused Environment: All our faculty members have PhDs in computer science or related fields. They're committed to providing you a quality education and helping you succeed.
- State-of-the-Art Equipment: With four smart classrooms, an artificial intelligence/robotics lab, an architecture lab, a networking lab, and an undergraduate research lab, you'll have abundant opportunity to practice and apply your technical skills.
- Internships: Information Technology concentration regularly places students with companies like Bayer Corporation, US Steel, Highmark Blue Shield, and McKesson Robotics. You'll gain valuable work experience, academic credit, and a paycheck.
What Will You Learn?
The IT concentration at SRU gives you the opportunity to examine information gathering, retrieval, management, and storage capabilities. You'll build a solid foundation in computing, including:
- Client-side and server-side web programming
- System administration and management
- Computer networking
- Information management
- System analysis
- IT solution implementation
- Incorporation of audio and video into software applications
- System and network security
Careers In Information Technology
SRU Computing graduates with Information Technology concentration have the background knowledge and skill for careers in computing and related fields, including:
- IT specialist and help desk technician
- Web developer and programmer
- Network and computer system administrator
- System analyst
- Information security analyst
Clubs & Organizations
- Computer Technology Club
- Computer Game Club
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon honor society
"As an alumnus of SRU and a member of the IT Board of Visitors, I want to thank you personally for taking the time to consider SRU to further your education. SRU understands the important decision and financial impacts associated with furthering your education. Every consideration is taken so that you are comfortable with the academic program and the campus setting. I can assure you that SRU offers a wide variety of opportunities which will help facilitate your learning opportunities for the future."- Matthew P. Piroch, Senior Vice President, Highmark Blue Shield, SRU CS alumni