Theatre BA: Design & TechnologyOffered by: Theatre
Learn how to transform ideas and artistic vision into reality on stage. You will graduate from this exciting and rigorous program with the ability to analyze scripts, make important design and production decisions, and collaborate: all integral facets of working in the flourishing field of professional theatre design and technology.
Why Choose Theatre: Design & Technology?
In this program, you will have the opportunity to apply and refine your classroom skills by working on full-scale theatrical productions. You can expand your knowledge and experience by working within the following practicum and professional environments:
- Costume Shop - The SRU Costume Shop is a well-equipped space used for teaching costuming classes and for creating costumes for theatre productions. It contains professional-standard sewing machines, pressing equipment and dress forms, including half-scale forms for the teaching of patterning and draping. A considerable inventory of costumes is partially housed in the Costume Shop, as well as fabric storage, hats, accessories, wigs, and makeup equipment.
- Scene Shop - A fully equipped woodshop where students will gain the skills and modern techniques of theatre construction utilizing both wood and steel.
- Student Staff - Qualified students have the opportunity to apply for employment as Student Staff members, working in Carpentry, Electrics, Props and Costumes, supporting not only Theatre Department productions, but also working alongside professional artists commissioned through the SRU Performing Arts Series.
Design and Technology majors are encouraged to apply to design mainstage productions during our annual call for design assignments each spring. High-level, fully-funded productions of contemporary musicals, world premieres, Shakespeare, and more provide fertile ground for you to apply the skills you've learned, as well as build an expansive resumé. Additionally, you can add a professional production to your credits by traveling to the Festival Fringe in Edinburgh, Scotland, where the SRU Theatre Department has toured six productions since 2016!
What Will You Learn?
At SRU, we believe in an intensive, well-rounded education. This means that in addition to core classes in design and technology, you will also take advanced courses in drawing, drafting, and all major theatrical design and technical areas, including scene design, costume design, lighting design and costume technology. You will gain skills in areas such as:
- Analyzing scripts and characters
- Researching and synthesizing information to produce original ideas
- Developing and utilizing diverse construction methods and safe theatre practices
- Working within deadlines and budget restraints
- Learning and developing artistic and design skills
Students in Design and Technology also receive opportunities to enhance their education through participation in supported conferences and festivals.
Careers In Theatre
SRU Theatre Design and Technology graduates have designed, built and stage-managed productions internationally, in regional theatre and Off Broadway, as well as on film and television. Learn more about many of the exciting career possibilities that a Theatre degree from SRU can open up for you!