Theatre BFA: Acting (Acting)Offered by: Theatre
As a BFA Acting major with a concentration in Acting, you'll receive top-flight, professional training at a nationally-accredited institution. Acting at SRU features a rigorous, hands-on actor training program, known for its cutting-edge repertoire-a mix of challenging new work and audacious adaptations of the classics-and a smaller, student-centered program means more performance opportunities for you!
Why Choose Theatre BFA: Acting (Acting)?
- Our talented, experienced faculty includes working playwrights, directors, and actors. You'll be learning from professionals in the industry who are passionate about education.
- SRU is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) and is one of the only universities in Pennsylvania to hold all four arts accreditations: Art, Dance, Music and Theatre.
- You'll have the opportunity to audition for five mainstage theatre productions a year, produced in our brand new, state-of-the-art performing arts center, featuring both a 753-seat proscenium stage and a 296-seat flexible black box.
- Seize the opportunity to perform abroad! Since 2006, SRU Theatre has toured six productions to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, the world's largest international performing arts festival.
- The SRU Theatre Department has a record of excellence with the national college theatre festival, KCACTF, and our students have the opportunity to attend the annual Region II conference where they can compete for national acting awards, audition for new play development experiences, participate in workshops with seasoned professionals, and more.
- SRU Theatre is a student-centered program, providing a world-class education at an affordable price.
What Will You Learn?
The BFA in Acting is a conservatory-style, professional career-training program. The Theatre Performance concentration consists of extensive study in acting, voice, and movement training, including:
- Voice for the Actor
- Movement for the Actor
- Exploring Dance
- Wellness for the Actor
- Acting Shakespeare
- Advanced Acting Techniques including Meisner, Chekhov, and Uta Hagen
- Elective options include courses in stage combat, devised theatre, musical theatre, theatre management, and dance
BFA actors will also create a bridge to the professional theatre industry through capstone courses in professional theatre practice, culminating in a senior showcase in a major metropolitan area.
Careers In Acting
The diverse field of professional theatre includes career opportunities on Broadway and Off-Broadway, as well as within the network of 2,000+ professional regional companies producing classical, Shakespearean, contemporary, and cutting-edge theatre across the country. Getting involved with organizations such as Musical Theatre Society and Film Club can enhance student learning outside of the classroom and better prepare you for your future career. Learn more about many of the exciting possibilities that a Theatre degree from SRU can open up for you!
Learn more about the BFA in Acting Today!
This Bachelor of Fine Arts program at SRU provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in their careers and in graduate school. Interested in learning more about the major? Request more information today!
Interested in auditioning for the department? Check out all the details on our department audition page.