School Nurse (PDE Certification)Offered by: Nursing
It takes a unique set of skills to work as a school nurse. At SRU, the School Nurse Certification program helps students develop essential skills in that area. Designed for RNs who have earned a BS or BA (in any field) and are seeking certification as a school nurse. Graduates of the program are eligible to apply to the Pennsylvania Department of Education for Level 1 Certification.
SRU's School Nurse PDE Certification program is online and consists of 21 graduate credits-including a 100-hour practicum with a Certified School Nurse. The program provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to attain Level I certification from the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Other states may also accept the PDE Certification as a basis to grant a state certificate.
The School Nurse Certification program is designed to meet the needs of working professionals. This program offers:
- Flexibility to fit busy schedules. Courses are taught online, with a precepted practicum
- A 21-credit program that can be completed in as few as four semesters
- A practicum can be completed at a school district of the student's choice; Note: If employed in a school district the practicum must be arranged in a different school district unless hired under an emergency permit.
Attention: To apply for admission, please use the following link to apply now.
- $25 Application Fee
- A completed BS or BA degree, in any field, from a regionally accredited college or university
- A copy of current, unencumbered licensure as a RN in Pennsylvania
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and prior graduate coursework indicating an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher (official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronic transcript e-share to email@example.com or via mail - faxed copies will not be considered official)
- SRU current/Alumni/former students click here to order your official SRU final transcript and have it sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
*If you are requesting review of your graduate transcripts for transfer of credit, please complete the transfer of credit form and submit to the Office of Graduate Admissions with official graduate transcripts. Please review SRU's transfer of credit policy.
Note: If you are not a resident of Pennsylvania, please check the list of most recent states approved for online classes and internships by clicking here to see if SRU is authorized to offer distance education and/or field experiences in your state of residency.
Before registering for NURS 623 Nursing Practice with School Populations - PR, which contains the 100 hours of preceptor experience, the student must show proof of:
- Current CPR Certification
- Act 34 Clearance - PA State Police Criminal Record Check
- Act 151 Clearance - PA Child Abuse History
- Act 114 Clearance - FBI Background Check
- Act 31 - Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse Training
- Proof of personal professional malpractice insurance
Note: Fingerprinting must be completed through the Department of Education, or the Department of Public Welfare