Special Education: Autism (Master of Education)Offered by: Special Education
GRADUATE SCHOOL EVENTS: View upcoming Information Sessions and Open House dates
The SRU Master of Education in Special Education: Autism is available to students with an undergraduate degree in special education, or professionals working in human services agencies that support children and adults with autism. This program has been developed as a response to the increasing need for highly trained teachers and professionals to work with students diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in public and private schools and outside agencies. This Masters of Education program can be completed in one year and is entirely online.
The "Autism Epidemic," as it has been characterized by many leading researchers and scientific organizations, has led to a significant demand for working professionals who understand autism. That's why SRU developed the Special Education with an Emphasis on Autism graduate program. This program's curriculum is highly specialized with courses that address the social and communication needs of children with autism, an Applied Behavior Analysis course to prepare teachers for academic instruction, and curriculum and program needs for children with ASD.
SRU's M.Ed. in Special Education with an Emphasis on Autism program offers:
- Highly specialized graduate degree
- Exclusively online program convenient for working professionals
- Flexible curriculum that meets the demands of classroom teachers or human service agency professionals
- Program approval by the PA Department of Education leading to an endorsement on a teaching certificate
- Classes taught by professors with an expertise in Applied Behavioral Analysis and Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Curriculum aligned with Council for Exceptional Children standards and PA Department of Education competencies
Attention: If you are applying to a graduate program after June 23rd, please follow the checklist within the application for all uploading instructions and use this link to apply now.
- Application Fee
- A Copy of Teaching Certificate * Optional (submit to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Resume (submit to email@example.com)
- Two Electronic Reference Forms: two from a professional or one from a professional and one from a faculty member (Students are responsible for sending form link to evaluators)
- Official Transcripts- Undergraduate/Graduate (Official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronic transcript e-share to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail- faxed copies will not be considered official)
- SRU current/Alumni/former students click here to order your official SRU final transcript and have it sent to email@example.com
*If you are requesting review of your graduate transcripts for transfer of credit, please complete the transfer of credit form and submit to the Office of Graduate Admissions with official graduate transcripts. Please review SRU's transfer of credit policy.
*Applicants may submit supplemental application materials as a PDF or JPEG file via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (724.738.2146), or mail. Applicants may also choose to submit their supplemental materials via the wufoo forms linked above.
* If you are not a resident of Pennsylvania, please check the list of most recent states approved for online classes and internships by clicking here to see if SRU is authorized to offer distance education and/or field experiences in your state of residency. Please contact the Department of Education in your state for information regarding certification.
*Clearances are due no later than one (1) week prior to deadline for course registration for each program's practicum/field experience-----no student will be permitted to register for their program's practicum and take part in practicum/field experiences without clear clearances on file at SRU. Students are to send the following by the due date:
- Clear Act 34 Criminal History Record: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Clearance must be less than one year old at the time of submission.
- Clear Act 114 FBI Record Check: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Clearance must be less than one year old at the time of submission.
- Clear Act 151 Child Abuse Background Check: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Clearance must be less than one year old at the time of submission.
- Act 24 Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Students must file an updated Act 24 with SRU if any additional arrests/convictions occur while enrolled at SRU.