Slippery Rock University offers Honors College scholarships to qualified incoming, full-time SRU students who have been accepted to the Honors College.
How to be Considered for an Honors College Scholarship
Generally the academic criteria to be considered for an Honors College Scholarship is:
SAT score of 1280 SAT or higher (2016 version, critical reading and math only)
ACT score of 27 or higher,
High school GPA of 3.8 or higher
Students who meet the criteria above will automatically considered for an Honors College Scholarship when they fill out their Honors College application. You must submit a complete application with the required essay and resume to be considered for the scholarship.
Priority consideration will be given to students who apply to the Honors College by December 15. Scholarships that are declined by students will be offered throughout the spring prior to the fall semester.
First-Year Student Scholarship
These scholarships are $6,000, four-year scholarships, payable in $1,500 annual increments that are split between the fall and spring semester.
Honors College Advisory Committee Scholarship
This scholarship, which is funded by contributions from faculty who serve on the Honors College Advisory Committee, is awarded to one outstanding senior and one outstanding junior Honors College student. The award criteria are a minimum 3.75 QPA, good standing in the Honors College, and a minimum of 90 or 60 credits completed by the end of the spring semester of application. Applicants are required to:
- Complete an online scholarship application form. A faculty reference is required: approval from the faculty member to be used as a reference should be obtained prior to filling out the application. The Honors College office will send a referral form directly to the faculty member.
- Attach a cover letter including a description of your involvement in the Honors College (200 word max).
- Attach a short essay (400-500 words) describing how the Honors College has positively affected your education at SRU.
Scholarship recipients will be selected during the spring semester, and the scholarship will be awarded the following academic year. Current Honors College scholarship recipients are not eligible.
William and Sharon Thomas Honors Scholarship
This scholarship, which is funded by contributions from the Thomas family, is a $1,250 renewable scholarship. The criteria for this scholarship is:
- Student in the Honors College
- Butler County Resident
Raymond E. Carothers Honors Scholarship
This scholarship, which is funded by contributions from the Carothers family, is a $1,000 renewable scholarship. The criteria for this scholarship is:
- Student is the Honors College
- Juniors and Seniors
- 3.5 QPA and current on Honors requirements