The Rocket earns seven CSPA Gold Circle Awards
The Rocket, the independent, student-run newspaper at Slippery Rock University, earned seven CSPA Gold Circle Awards, including one for the News Page Design of the May 4, 2018, Graduation Edition.
Jan. 3, 2019
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. - The Rocket, the independent, student-run newspaper at Slippery Rock University, has earned seven awards in the 2018 Gold Circle Awards for outstanding collegiate journalism. The Columbia Scholastic Press Association sponsored the competition.
The Rocket awards included a trio of first-place honors.
The CSPA's annual contest attracted 6,514 entries from 720 print news and magazines. Combined with submissions for yearbook and digital media, there were nearly 11,500 entries in 166 categories.
The following are The Rockets' 2018 Gold Circle Awards:
• First place in the News Page Design category for the May 4, 2018, issue.
• First place in the Editorial Page Design category for the Oct. 13, 2017, issue.
• First place in the Single Subject Page Design category for "The Race Issue" (April 20, 2018) by Cody Nespor, a 2018 graduate with a degree in communication; and Paris Malone, a senior computing major from Alexandria, Virginia.
• Second place in the News Page Design category for the "Orientation Special" by Nespor; Daniel DiFabio, a 2018 graduate with a degree in communication; and Lauren Ault, a senior communication major from Butler.
• Third place in the Alternative Story Presentation category for "Starting Five."
• Third place in the Sports News category for "Success with Less" (Nov. 9, 2017) by Justin Kraus, a 2018 graduate with a degree in communication.
• Certificate of Merit in the Double Truck Page Design category for "Coaching Tree" (Nov. 10, 2017) by Nespor.
The Rocket is printed on a monthly basis during the academic semesters and digital content is produced weekly. Visit The Rocket website at: www.theonlinerocket.com.
MEDIA CONTACT: Justin Zackal | 724.738.4854 | email@example.com