SRU Greek Life celebrates individual and chapter successes
Feb. 6, 2019
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. - Slippery Rock University honored the success of its Panhellenic fraternities and sororities in the areas of leadership and philanthropy at its second annual Celebration of Excellence in Fraternity and Sorority Life Award Ceremony Feb. 5 at the Smith Student Center.
The event was the brainchild of Jayne Piskorik, assistant director of fraternity and sorority life and student organizations, to recognize those individuals and chapters that are exceeding or excelling in being campus and community leaders through their efforts.
"Jayne had done so much for us and she wanted to do something that recognized all the great work - on campus and off - that individual members and chapters are doing," said Robbie Bailey, a Slippery Rock University junior accounting major from Mount Pleasant and president of SRU's Pi Kappa Phi fraternity chapter and president of the Inter-Fraternity Council.
"Many of these individuals and chapters may get recognition from their national chapters, but this event puts a local spotlight on what they were doing and the good it does. This is the University's way of saying 'You're doing well, congratulations.'"
Individuals recognized included :
• Living the Ritual: Chadwick Burdick, a junior exercise major from Brookpark, Ohio and Pi Kappa Alpha.
• Scholar of the Year: Alyssa Hahn, a junior exercise science major from Cassadaga, New York and Delta Zeta.
• Emerging Leader: Juli Thomas, a junior math major from Beaver Falls and Alpha Xi Delta.
• Outstanding Campus Involvement: Taylor Cochran, a senior early childhood and special education major from Natrona Heights and Phi Sigma Sigma.
• Outstanding Community Advocate: Keisha Booker, assistant director of The Office of Multicultural Development and John Rindy, director of The Office of Career Education and Development.
• Chapter President of the Year: Alexandra Liston, a senior psychology major from Slippery Rock and Alpha Xi Delta; and Sky Pederson, a senior economics major from Greensburg and Theta Chi.
• Fraternity/Sorority Member of the Year: Rocky Vasconi, a senior double major in Spanish and communications from Sharon and Kappa Sigma.
Chapter award winners included:
• Excellence in Service and Philanthropy: Alpha Xi Delta.
• Academic Excellence: Delta Zeta.
• Excellence in Membership Development: Pi Kappa Alpha.
• Excellence in External Relations: Theta Chi.
• Chapter of the Year: Delta Zeta.
MEDIA CONTACT: Lesa Bressanelli | 724.738.2091 | email@example.com