SRU Theatre presents comedy ‘Hand to God,’ March 3-9
The Slippery Rock University Theatre Department will present “Hand to God,” March 3-9, a comedy for mature audiences based on the Broadway play about a demonically possessed puppet.
Feb. 14, 2023
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. — The Slippery Rock University Theatre Department will present productions of the play "Hand to God," 7:30 p.m., March 3-4 and March 7-9, and 2 p.m., March 5, at the Stoner East Black Box Theater. Tickets are available online at sru.edu/tickets or at the door prior to each performance. The cost is $12 for SRU students and $14 for general admission. This comedy is for mature audiences only.
"Hand to God" was written by Robert Askins and performed on Broadway in 2015. It is described as "a coming-of-age tale, a deft exploration of faith and morality, and best of all, an utterly hilarious pitch-black comedy spiked with horror." Set in Cypress, Texas, the play focuses on the local Lutheran church that uses puppets to teach scripture, only to find that one of the puppets has become demonically possessed.
The play will mark the 51st and final project by director David Skeele, professor of theatre who will be retiring this year after working at the University since 1993.
The cast of "Hand to God" includes:
- Deven Runge, a senior acting major from Califon, New Jersey, as Jason/Tyrone.
- Veronique Chayer, a junior acting major from Irmo, South Carolina, as Margery.
- Eddy Niessner, a sophomore acting major from Johnstown, as Timothy.
- Samantha Carter, a sophomore acting major from Cranberry Township, as Jessica.
- Noah Reed, a senior acting major from Slippery Rock, as Pastor Greg.
In addition to Skeele as director, the creative team includes:
- Reed, associate director.
- Riley Gross, a junior theatre major from Atlantic, stage manager.
- Rachel Dercola, a sophomore theatre major from Sykesville, Maryland, assistant stage manager.
- Zoey Case, a sophomore acting major from Pittsburgh, assistant stage manager.
- Sam Kuchta, assistant professor of theatre, lighting designer.
- Tyler Parsonage, a senior theatre major from Murrysville, as assistant lighting designer.
- Mary Hodson, SRU theatre costume coordinator, costume designer.
- Livi Mosca, a senior theatre major from Kent, Ohio, assistant costume designer.
- Michael Boone, SRU technical director.
- Alex Barnhart, SRU theatre assistant technical director, sound designer.
- Isaac Smith, a freshman theatre major from Edinboro, assistant sound designer.
- Spencer Clifford, a freshman theatre major from Leetsdale, propmaster.
- Maya Gensler, a junior acting major from Germantown, Maryland, publicity.
- Rachael Katz, a senior theatre major from St. Louis, Missouri, scenic designer.
More information is on the SRU Theatre Department webpage or by calling 724.738.2090.
MEDIA CONTACT: Justin Zackal | 724.738.4854 | email@example.com