SRU celebrating Women’s History Month with series of events
Slippery Rock University is celebrating Women’s History Month in March with a series of virtual and in-person events.
Feb. 28, 2022
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. — March is Women's History Month, and Slippery Rock University is celebrating with events and campaigns coordinated by SRU's Women's Center and sponsored by several campus organizations.
"Women's History Month is recognized around the country to highlight the many contributions of women throughout the history of our society," said Kendra Claypool, assistant director of SRU's Women's Center and Pride Center. "This is a great opportunity for SRU to observe women's history in our own way and for our campus community to participate, whether it's engaging in conversations about issues affecting women or celebrating their achievements."
The following Women's History Month events are planned at SRU:
- Abortion Access: An Equity Issue, 7 p.m., March 1, a virtual event sponsored by the Gender Studies Program with representatives from If/When/How and Advocates for Youth discussing the importance of preserving abortion and other reproductive rights. Register online via CORE, SRU's online platform for student organizations and events.
- Intersectionality Rock Talk, 6 p.m., March 2, a virtual panel discussion sponsored by the Women's Center and the Pride Center with people from overlapping social categories, such as race, sexuality, class or gender, and how they are perceived. Register online via CORE.
- Women's History Month Photo Campaign, 12:30 p.m., March 8, in the Smith Student Center Commuter Lounge, sponsored by the Women's Center. People are invited to celebrate International Women's Day by having an empowering photo taken of themselves.
- Sudanese Poet and Activist, 7 p.m., March 8, a virtual event sponsored by the Gender Studies Program and the Middle East Studies Center, featuring a presentation and poetry reading by Rania Mamoun, writer-in-residence at City of Asylum. Register online via CORE.
- Movie Night, 7 p.m., March 10, SSC Theater, as the Women's Center sponsors a viewing of the movie "Mulan."
- Women and Allies of Distinction Mentoring Dinner, 5 p.m., March 29, SSC Ballroom, which is the annual awards dinner sponsored by the President's Commission on Women and the Gender Studies Program. Tickets available at sru.edu/tickets.
- PASSHE Women's Consortium Conference, March 24-26, via Zoom, which is a Pennsylvania's State System of Higher Education annual conference. More information is available at passhewomensconsortium.org.
- Women and Sustainability, 3 p.m., March 30, Macoskey Center, for a guided nature hike, seeding and other mindfulness activities, sponsored by the Women's Center and the Macoskey Center. All attendees receive a chive plant. Register on CORE.
- Self Care and Success Social, 12:30 p.m., March 31, SSC Commuter Lounge, sponsored by the OIE, this event provides attendees an opportunity to voice and showcase their successes and learn new self-care skills.
For more information about Women's History Month programs, call 724.738.2992 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
MEDIA CONTACT: Justin Zackal | 724.738.4854 | email@example.com