SRU’s fifth annual Giving Day happens March 26
Slippery Rock University’s fifth annual Giving Day is March 26. Since 2017, Giving Day has helped generate $475,000 in total support for student scholarships, clubs, organizations, academic departments, athletic teams and more.
March 19, 2021
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. — Giving Day returns for its fifth year at Slippery Rock University, March, 26, and while the annual fundraising event grows each year, its mission is the same: supporting SRU students. This year, the monetary goal is $300,000, and generous members of the SRU community have sponsored challenges to drive participation.
"People's investment in SRU's students is more important and valuable than ever," said Dennis Washington, vice president for university advancement. "Students rely on the financial support of our generous donors, and events like Giving Day are a reminder of the impact we can make when we come together as a community to invest in our students through our generosity."
In the last four years, Giving Day has generated more than $475,000 in total support for student scholarships, clubs, organizations, academic departments, athletic teams and more. Last year, Giving Day was postponed from March 26 to May 1 because of the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, but still generated 1,833 gifts totaling more than $260,000.
"We're grateful for how the SRU community continues to support our students," said Marissa Cozza, senior coordinator of annual giving and communication. "Thousands of alumni, faculty, staff, students and friends of the University have participated year after year. Their generosity continues to surpass our vision for SRU's Giving Day. We can't wait to see how Rock Nation will rally around our students again this year."
People can make online contributions from SRU's Giving Day webpage, sru.edu/givingday, now through 11:59 p.m., March 26, although some donations made on March 26 only will count toward challenges that unlock additional funds. When completing the online donation form, people can designate their gift to any area on campus they would like to support.
- The following challenges for the 2021 Giving Day campaign include:As part of the "For the Students" challenge, SRU deans and members of the president's cabinet will donate $20,000 once the entire campaign reaches $100,000.
- The SRU Foundation, Inc. board of directors will donate $10,000 once the entire campaign reaches 1,000 donors.
- For its annual Student Group challenge, the Slippery Rock Student Government Association is matching up to $3,000 to the student organization that raises the most money on March 26. The matching donation will be earmarked in the organization's 2021-22 SGA budget.
The SRU Foundation, Inc. is also sponsoring the following challenges for student organizations,athletics and academic projects:
- Student organization speed challenge: $1,000 will be deposited into the self-support accounts of the first organization to generate 50 unique donors on March 26.
- Student organization most money challenge: $1,000 will be deposited into the self-support accounts of the organization that raises the most money by 11:59 p.m., March 26.
- Student organization most donors challenge: $1,000 will be deposited into the self-support accounts of the organization that generates the most unique donors by 11:59 p.m., March 26.
- Athletics most dollars challenge: $1,000 will be given to the athletics group that raises the most dollars and $750 will be given to the athletics group that raises the second-most dollars for the entire campaign.
- Athletics most donors challenge: $1,000 will be given to the athletics group that generates the most unique donors and $750 will be given to the athletics group that generates the second-most unique donors for the entire campaign.
- Academic program most money challenge: $1,250 will be given to the academic program that raises the most money on March 26.
Participants are encouraged to use the hashtag #SRUGivingDay on social media and share stories about why they give or spread awareness about SRU programs, organizations and projects.
In addition to donating online, Giving Day participants can contribute by phone by calling 724.738.2004 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or by mail to: SRU Foundation, Inc., 104 Maltby Ave., Suite 100, Slippery Rock, PA, 16057.
More information about Giving Day is available on the Giving Day webpage or by emailing questions to email@example.com.
MEDIA CONTACT: Justin Zackal | 724.738.4854 | firstname.lastname@example.org